Chapter 10: Doubts

Christopher.

Finally the great day has arrived. For the past week, I saw girls preparing for this event, and was unanimously pleased to see them doing the work wholeheartedly, learning the steps, and the required etiquette, while Edward and I searched for the garments. We relied on our trusted tailor who worked especially for the crown family, to take our measurements, and produce the outfits using unique and expensive materials.

Ed and I had come up with the idea of surprising the two hard workers by letting them keep their gorgeous dresses. While accomplishing the duties, we had also spared time to see and judge the model sketches of a well-known fashion designer in our social circles.

Standing near the royal-crème-gold engraved carriage, I had clad myself in black trousers, the ends of which were tucked into knee length leather boots. In contrast to the black, I had toned down my outfit with a snowy-pure white plaid down shirt with cuffs covering my wrists and frilly cravat fixed around my neck. I had put on a dark blue velvet coat, which suited with the tone of the vest.

Ed had quite the same style, though he preferred lighter and warmer colors.

The gigantic gates swung wide open, catching our unwavering attention. Our eyes didn’t have to wait long to see the breathtaking sight of the matchless gems heading smoothly towards the light. Girls we knew weren’t themselves, they acted and looked like real princesses. I could practically feel the aristocratic aura floating among them. Heads high, they gracefully approached us in fluffy dresses, wearing diamond earrings and necklaces. Luna’s top differed from Loretti’s by having a décolleté instead of the corset that was accurately joined with the volume skirt, and the dark veil that covered Lara’s shoulders. Both had long satin gloves and fans fixed on their wrists. They too, had their favorite color that suited them perfectly. I haven’t forgotten how unnaturally beautiful Loretti had looked with her chocolate hair pulled up and her light brown eyes in contrast with the purple as compared to Luna with her brown hair pinned up and her flamboyant blue garment.

“We love the presents we received from you, princes”-both said in angelic voices.

“May I escort you my lady?”-I murmured, trying to hide my petrified expression.

The best friends giggled covering their faces with their fans. Lara closed hers and touched her lips slightly with it “I hope you wont drool over the place, my prince” She softly put her hand on top of my extended palm

“I am sure you wont let me”, the humor in my eyes showed a little and I knew she liked it by regarding me with one of her sincere smiles, which I haven’t seen much lately.

She gave my hand a little squeeze and hopped gracefully into the carriage after Luna and Edward.

I went in last, closing the door behind me and locking it from the inside.

The vehicle took an original path that led to the “United” mansion and rocked from side to side a little at times. The only sounds were made from the hooves of the horses as they stepped on crusty autumn leaves.

There was silence as everyone watched the scenery through the windows enclosed with wooden frames. I hadn’t failed to notice my cousin’s troubled expression, “Edward?” I called

He inclined his head towards my voice, clearly disguising his feelings.

“What is it?” I pursued

“No, nothing to worry of” he stayed strongly on his words

“Though you sure do. Would you fill us in?”

He glanced at the audience and a sigh followed, barely audible, “It’s just… Something is wrong…”

When he stopped and trailed off without continuing, I frowned, “Well?”

“It is bound to happen” he licked his lips when he felt them irritably dry.

Well, no shit, didn’t I already know that today is a great celebration for all of us? I shook my head denying the nonsense my cousin kept thinking.

“I assure you, the thing is terrible” He looked at me with serious eyes.

“Don’t be paranoid” said Lara with a lazy attitude as if she had heard the conversation going on for a hundred times.

“And, is that the optimistic part speaking for you?”

“Yes”, she answered fast, “You have to believe everything will be fine, even when you have the slightest hesitation. Thoughts must be pure, even if the dark ones keep popping in your head. And when you do as I’m advising you, good will be attracted to you itself.”

The words I heard were from an extreme optimist and I caught her saying it automatically, like she was some kind of a robot, lecturing them for centuries.

I didn’t like what I saw in front of my eyes. Her character put me on the verge. Lara never spared us a glance as she had been indulged in her own reveries.

Then the question appeared in my brain again, “What had she been doing for the past two years in which we had assumed her dead?”

This haunting thought never left me.