017. full chapter

Apr. 4, 2016, 7:30 AM-Apr. 4, 2016, 7:30 AM
Alexia's time-Jeongguk's time

"Look up."

She obeyed the text, dropping her phone away from her eyes and standing up from her seat. With a moment of hesitation, she looked up, eyes glassy at the sight of Jeongguk a foot away from her. He looked tired but happy nonetheless. His eyes were shining like stars, and he was smiling wildly. She gasped, covering her mouth with her hands and running towards him at the speed of light. She fell into him, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist and sobbing.

"Hi," he murmured, hugging her tightly, tangling his fingers in her hair.

She pulled away, staring at him a good while, exclaiming in happiness. Her wiry glasses were flecked with tears. She couldn't really string any words together, so she ended up a mixture of laughing, crying, and everything in between.

"Hello," she finally said. "How are you?"

He laughed, "I'm good, Lexie. I'm good."

"Good." She muttered, closing her eyes happily and burying her head in his shoulder, she held on to him for a bit longer and finally pulled away. "We should do... The airport stuff."

"Airport stuff?" He asked.

She smacked his arm, "You know what I mean." She sighed and snuck her sweater sleeve beneath her glasses and wiped her cheeks.

"Yes, let's do the airport stuff." Jeongguk agreed, holding his arm out gentlemanly. "Shall we?"

She linked her arms with his and nodded. They walked off together, erupting in chatter and laughter.

xxx

"Airport stuff is done!" Jeongguk exclaimed triumphantly.

They stood outside, despite it being April, Minnesota was still bitter. Jeongguk drew his jacket around himself and tugged his red beanie past his ears. He was loading his stuff into the trunk of Lexie's old Volvo, she apologized profusely for the state it was in.

"I've got a lot of good CDs in here, though." She assured.

"That's all that matters," he smiled. "Minnesota is fantastic. No one has recognized me."

"There's a lot of white people who lock themselves in their houses during the winter, for sure." She agreed.

He laughed, and they pulled open the creaking doors of her car and sat down. Jeongguk was hit with a wave exhaustion, the car seat became a bed to him. It had been a brutally long flight.

"There was a woman on the plane and she said 'konichiwa' to me." He recounted.

Lexie chuckled, resting her arm on the steering wheel, starting the car and turning on the heat. He told many stories from his miserable flight. From a woman asking him to hold her screaming baby and an old man passing out and resting his head on Jeongguk shoulder.

"I went through airplane hell to get to you." He said, and her cheeks turned a light pigment of pink.

"I'm really glad you're here." She replied.

They smiled at each other. Lexie pulled out of the bustling airport on to busy roads with a sun that gave off the illusion of warmth. He settled into his seat, peering out the window. As they got farther and farther away from the airport, he noticed the thick wildlife and the insanity of the people here.

"That girl's wearing shorts and a tank top!" He exclaimed, looking at the temperature. "It's fifty degrees Fahrenheit." He whined.

Lexie shrugged, "It's typical."

Jeongguk looked out the window again in amazement of this little state. High trees and budding flowers tangled in blades of green grass, it was lovely. As beautiful as the forests were, he admired the beautiful girl from this state far more than them.