The Ghost of You

Ryan had been away at war for about three years now. I miss him loads. He hasn't contacted me in a couple weeks. I wonder if everything is okay.....
"Dallon... What if he's not okay?"
"Brendon, he'll be fine"
"H-how do you know that?"
"I don't... But, I guess I don't know what to say"
"I'm sorry for loading all my problems on you"
"It's fine, honestly" he smiles. I smile back, god I have such a great friend. Always there for me.
"C-can you come to my house? I don't wanna be alone" he nodded once more, and we headed back to my place.
------
'Knock knock'
I walked up to the door and saw a man in a uniform.. Oh god...
'Please no. Please no. Please'
"Hello sir, can I come in?"
"S-sure" I stuttered. I took the man in uniform inside and we sat on the sofa in the living room.
"I'm sorry to inform you but you're boyfriend, Ryan. He died out at battle"
'Oh god.. No no no'
"Uh.. Thank you for telling me"
"He was a great guy, and a great soldier, he did his country proud" the man smiled. "I'll show myself out, thank you for welcoming me into your home"
I broke down there and then. Why? Why did he have to leave?
"Brendon we- what happened? Are you okay?" Dallon asked walking in.
"Ry-Ryan. H-he-"
"Shhh, it's okay tell me when you're ready" he whispered.
Once I had calms down I managed to speak and tell him all about it.
"Oh, Bren. I'm so sorry. I'm always here if you need it" he smiled weakly.
I heard the doorbell. I went up to go answer it.
"I'm sorry sir, but I forgot to say that Ryan told me to give you this letter if he passed while at war" the man in the uniform smiled.
"Thank you" he smiled and walked away.
I opened the letter almost immediately.

'Dear Brendon,
By the time you are reading this I have probably passed. I had a feeling I should have never have left but it's what my parents wanted me to do, follow in my brothers footsteps. I want you to know that I love you deeply. And I will miss you so so much.
I want you to know that when I'm gone I want you to be happy again so I want you to move on and feel happiness. Get married, maybe adopt. You know? Can you do that for me?  The man that probably came to our door to tell you the news? His name was Gerard. He's nice, you'd like him if you got to know him.
Well. I guess this is goodbye... For now, I'll see you again one day.
I love you, so much. I hope you remember that.
Never forget me.
Ryan.
Xo'
I was full on crying by the time I finished reading. Dallon was curious, so I handed him the letter. He understood and wrapped me in a hug. I needed one right now.
-------
It's been three years since that day, and I can gladly say that I did what Ryan wanted, I moved on. Me and Dallon got together two years ago. We are happy, and engaged. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the bones off Dallon. But he'll never be Ryan. Ryan will always be my boy. I'll love him forever and always.
I felt a cold breeze rush around me and a slight whisper of 'I love you Brendon'