Chapter Thirteen - He's the Only One to Remember My Birthday

I don't know how it happened but I didn't bother trying to stop it. One moment I'm at his door step early Sunday morning, next moment I'm in his mother's car on the way to join them at Sunday Mass. It happened so fast that I couldn't even control the outcome.

It all started when I woke up at 7:30am, force of habit due to school. Groaning, I groggily got up only to hear Tara's voice floating up the stairs and through the corridor to my ears, where she was talking about a lunch with the Mayes. That's not the worst part, the worst part was that both I and Tara were invited. Being with Tara is bad enough but being with Tara and Colt, now that was like death. After completing my morning rituals I had nothing to do, so instead of going to Bec's house, I found myself staring at Luke's door.

I didn't even have a chance to open the door because as my hand formed in a knuckle and approached the wood, it swung open. Magic, I thought. No, it was just Brooks swinging the door open as he adjusted the skinny tie. He almost ran into me, I could tell he was in a rush but he still managed to crack a smile. "Teddy, it's early." He said in a husky, early morning voice which left me weak in his presence. Damn him! I shuffled back, giving him some personal space.

"Yeah, I um...." I honestly had no response.

An evil grin formed on his face. "You were just about to ask to join us at church, well I accept." He said, buttoning up the last button at the bottom of his checkered shirt. Even at church you couldn't rip him away from his leather jacket but either way, he looked classy with black skinny jeans. My entire felt weak in his presence, something that Bec has only ever described to me.

"Um okay." I said, not exactly knowing how to respond.

Just then three bodies hustled out of the house, all clean and dressed appropriately. Luckily I decided to wear my nice skinny jeans and flats today. "Alex, will you be joining us?" Gina's voice questioned. Was this whole situation weird?

At first I was baffled that Luke actually goes to church, I mean, he lets off this reckless punk attitude so I didn't know religion would be in his vocabulary. Me? I mean, I was baptised a Catholic, I followed the sacraments as you do, I went to church on the special occasions like Easter or Christmas. But I wasn't a weekender participant. As I was immersed in my thoughts I heard Brooks accepting for me.

Beau took the passenger seat of Gina's commodore, which of course, she was driving. This then led to an argument between Brooks and I, where I was forced to take the middle seat, squished between two teenage boys. He only won because he used the word 'diminutive' which made me blush, therefore he won.

Before walking into the church itself I was stopped by an elderly woman. She was frail yet was firm. "Excuse me miss, but you can't go inside with your shoulders bare." She informed me, referring to my crop top which didn't have a sleeve. I simply nodded at her and watched her slowly climb the steps. Luke was beside me, asking if I had brought a jacket.

"No." I replied. What now?

Moments later a familiar warmth was draped over my shoulders. After my hands touched the fabric I knew exactly what had been placed on my shoulders. He placed a hand on the small of my back, mind you, bolts of electricity flew through me as I nestled into the smell of Brooks. As described in books, I only now realised how people can have a sixth sense when it comes to a particular person. They know their smell and they know their touch and warmth. I felt this with Luke but he would never feel the same way.

I pulled my arms through the long sleeves of his leather jacket which I was grateful for. He followed behind me as I followed Jai's lead into a pew. Before stepping in Jai bowed, I gave him room for him to bow before sitting in the pew. Following his example, I bowed only to have my bottom meet which I can only guys to be Brooks' crotch. Standing back up I felt his chest on my back.