Chapter Sixteen - He has My Back

We sat in complete and utter silence. I'm more than likely sure that he heard my mumble but he still sat perfectly still beside me. The tension in the small cupboard was enough to suffocate me. Is he going to say something? Do something? Anything?

I was more than embarrassed, my cheeks were burning. I want to kiss you too. What on earth possessed me to say that? Like literally, I sounded like a ten year old. It was more than mortifying due to the fact that I admitted that and he heard.

But can we not by pass the fact that he openly admitted that he wanted to kiss me. He's kissed so many other girls, you're no special.

Well there goes my self esteem.

I was more than sure that he heard me because he placed a hand on my knee. Massaging my knee cap with his thumb he exhaled slightly. "Maybe some other time."

Maybe some other time? Maybe some other time? Way to kill the mood Brooks. It was at that moment when I felt literally sick. I couldn't sit beside him, with his hand on my knee and have him tell me 'Maybe some other time.' So I got up, without explanation and I charged for the cupboard door.

I dashed out, glaring at all the smug faces as I held one hand on my stomach and the other to my mouth. A sicking feeling consumed my throat and I felt as though I was going to throw up. I'm guessing that my over all appearance portrayed the face that I was feeling a bit off because Beau commented, "He was that bad?"

I quickly apologized and excused myself from the party and I ran out. That is the second time where I have just run out of the place because my situation was too overwhelming. Two bodies followed behind me as I leaned on Bec's car.

"What happened?" Bec asked with a confused look etched on her face.

"Nothing." I admitted and they didn't believe me.

After telling them the complete story they were both horrified with Luke's response. "I just cringe so much hearing 'Maybe some other time.' Like what was going through his brain?" Lilly exasperated, expressing my exact thoughts.

"He wasn't thinking." Bec muttered as she inhaled in the cool wind.

"Well are we going back in?" Lilly asked, I could tell she really wanted to stay due to the fact that this was the only time her older brothers allowed her out with teenage boys.

I sighed inhaling the cold air. It was best if we did return back inside considering the fact that we dashed out quite rudely. Shuffling my feet I advanced to the front door. Exhaling loudly I opened it to see 4 big smiles on 4 boys faces. Brooks was the one with the smirk, trust him to do that.

"Ready to play?" Beau asked with a smug smile.

I gulped audibly and nodded. So it was that we continued to play. I resumed in my seat, folding my legs and I spun the bottle. It landed on Jai.

"Truth or Dare?" I asked with little interest.

"Dare." He smirked, patiently waiting for me to respond.

I glanced at Bec who was giving me a look, a look of inspiration. I'm not really good in social scenes, nor am I really good at understanding facial expressions. Except with Brooks, that I'm good at.

"I dare you to kiss Bec." I said in a flat tone.

He sent a charming smile. Luke's is better. He advanced to Bec and kissed her right then, right there. The boys wolf whistled, while I sat there uncomfortably. A look appeared on Lilly's face but vanished just as fast as it came. But it was too fast so I didn't quite catch it.

We continued playing and as the game progressed I lost interest. That was until it landed on me again. My heart was racing as the words escaped his recently licked lips. "Truth or Dare, Al?" He taunted with a smirk.

Stay brave, I told myself as I licked my own lips. "Dare." I said, zeroing my vision in on him. He wore his signature smirk so well that my eyes almost didn't noticed his features attraction. I knew he was ripped but in that fitted shirt his biceps bulged out. The biceps I wanted wrapped so tightly around my waist. I was snapped out of the spell of my false reality when he spoke.

"I dare you to jump into the pool with your clothes on." He smirked and I averted my gaze to the back yard. Ha! I win. James doesn't have a pool.

"There is one next door." Brooks whispered as though he read my mind.

So there we all were, huddled in a cold form outside. We had just jumped the weak wooden fence separating James' yard with his neighbors. Before advancing to the other side I found my strength in my upper arms to pull myself up. Soon enough I felt a burning sensation on my hips, either side. To firm yet warm hands were placed there, lifting my up and over the fence.

Receiving a charming and flawless wink when I landed, it felt as though my knees were going to buckle in. "Are youready?" Beau asked from beside me, giving me a slight nudge.

I noticed that I had been staring at the pool aimlessly because my mind had been too focused on Brooks hands on my waist, the burning tingle that remained and the perfect wink that made my knees wink. All for me.

"Jump." Daniel egged on creating a little chant that flew among the crowd.

I quickly slipped off my boots, if it looked like I was prepared to jump maybe they wouldn't actually make me. Or so I thought. The silence was evident as they silently waited for me to jump. I was not going to jump into the most likely ice cold water in the middle of the night.

"You have to do the dare Alex." James reminded me after no action was made.

"It really isn't a safe practice. I can contract hypothermia where body is exposed to cold temperatures meaning that the body has to work hard in maintaining body heat. As the temperature falls, the body shunts blood away from the skin and exposure to the elements. Blood flow is increased to the vital organs of the body including the heart, lungs, kidney, and brain. The heart and brain are most sensitive to cold-"

I was stopped from continuing when I felt my body being thrown, my cheek felt impact against a rigid surface. I inhaled and then was intoxicated by his heavenly smell. I surveyed the area, at first I struck about the amazing view my eyes gawked upon. After zoning out on Brooks' ass I realised that everything was now upside down.

"This is also dangerous due to heavy blood flow to the brain-" Once again I was cut off but this time by a husky silencer. "Shh." He instructed.

Then I realised just what was happening, I was slung over Brooks' shoulder and we were advancing to the pool. "Brooks no, hypothermia can lead to death occurrence." I warned but he didn't listen and he continued to run.

"It's okay Al, you be Lois Lane and I'll be your Clark Kent."

It was necessary to 'Aw' at Luke's comment. For a nerd that was the biggest compliment you could receive and for Brooks to say that to me- I was cut off mid thought as I was soaring in the air, then slowly descending.

"Hold your breath, Teddy." He whispered and soon my whole body was consumed by a cold, dangerous feeling. I blinked at the bubbles which blurred my view, slowly together, as I latched onto Brooks, we resurfaced.

"Wasn't that fun?" He panted after inhaling heavily.

I couldn't trust my throat to respond. Soon enough the nippy air and cold water were not a good combination as I was shivering immensely and my teeth were chattering to no end. To say that I was freezing was an understatement.

"Come out you two before Mrs Blantly goes spastic." James threatened, slightly worried that he would get caught.

We stumbled out of the water, Luke lightly carrying me until Beau took over and carried me to the house. He was warm but not as warm as Brooks. He wrapped me in towel before making a comment that I didn't really listen to about preferring Luke'a arms or something to that effect.

James placed a heater in front of me an I sent him an appreciative smile. "The way her clothes stuck to her body though..." Daniel drooled and I'm pretty sure it was about me because no doubt, my clothes clung to me like I would cling to Luke.

"Shut up." Luke said through gritted teeth and I think I heard an impact of a punch followed by a groan on Daniel's behalf.

"We should take Alex home." Lilly told James as she hugged him goodbye.

"Thank you for inviting us." Bec thanked on our behalf.

"T-Than-nk Y-You." I chattered as they led me out the front door and hauled me into Bec's car.

They dropped me off and Lilly walked me up to my house. Surprisingly Tara took me up stairs, helped me into the shower before tucking me into my bed. I was pretty much out when my head hit the pillow.