Chapter Twenty Eight - Exchanging of the L-word

In complete and utter honesty, I don't think my heart has never beated so fast. I just needed to hold my breath so I could catch it. But this drive, this motivation to finally get it off my chest was the only thing keeping me going. We slipped out of my house, we were safe from being caught out. I lead him to my car where I took the drivers seat, despite his arguments.

"I said I was taking you on a date Brooks, how could you possibly know where I was going to take you?" I rebutted and he smirked whilst taking the passenger seat.

"The movies." He stated as though it were obvious.

"Have a little faith Brooks," I pretended to be insulted, "for I have you know that this will not be the regular dinner and movie. Please, that's too ordinary for us." I said, smiling extravagantly at him.

"I liked how you said that." He smirked, nestling his hands in between his knees as I started the car.

"Said what?" I asked, pulling out of my driveway.

Then he blushed and it felt as though tonight we had swapped roles, "Us." He smiled and the smile on my own lips remained yet grew wider.

Finally it was his chance to control the radio. Every time I'm in the passenger seat I make it very clear that I work the stations so he was not reluctant to scroll through his options. This was the moment my breathing got heavier and I felt like I was suffocating in my own car, I was showing symptoms of claustrophobia. This was not a good sign.

I turned down my window and began breathing through my mouth. It felt as though my throat was closing up as my brain went to a dark place, spiralling in the self pity of 'what ifs'. Things running along the lines of what if he doesn't say it back?, what if he doesn't feel the same?, what if he dumps me then and there because I'm too clingy? You get the point. I was not in a good place.

It got to the point where headlights were just blinding balls of gas and I needed to pull over. Breathe, just breathe Alex. My arm rested of the window sill and my hand propped my head up. I felt a warm hand on my knee which made me avert my gaze to Brooks.

"Are you alright, Al?" His voice was instantly soothing. That's the thing about Brooks, he never failed to calm me down. His words dripped with concern as he looked upon me as I was experiencing a nervous breakdown.

"I-I'm fine." I stammered out unconvincingly.

"Are you sure? We can always go-" I cut his words off by kissing him. To recover from a nervous breakdown sometimes all I need to do was hold my breath so it seemed logical. It was the moment his hand cupped my cheek and it began caressing it with such affection that I came to my senses, knowing that I was about to do the right thing.

"Or we could just do this?" He said breathlessly as he smirked.

"All better." I admitted before kissing his cheek and placing my hands on the wheel again.

As I pulled out from the side of the road and headed towards the woods I noticed that Brooks was oddly silent. "What's wrong Brooks? Cat got your tongue?" I teased, observing the fact of his state because of my actions of silencing.

"No, just you." I kept my eyes on the road but I could easily tell that he was smirking and his comment made me laugh.

"But I'll have to admit, it's sexy when you make the first move." My heart jolted and I smiled.

"Well get used to it." I said in a low voice as I bit my lip.

I manoeuvred the car into an accessible position near the woods. Brooks got out of the car first and surveyed the premises while I got the candle and lighter out of my glove box. I got out of the car where I spun around and locked it before advancing to the fence. Effortlessly, I jumped it before I looked at Brooks through the bar wired fence.