I-SUMMER IS HERE

Thirty seconds...Twenty seconds...Fifteen seconds...Seven seconds...Five seconds...Three, two, one! Summer is here. The bell rang sending a Hallelujah to all the students in Montville High. I grabbed my bag and dashed out of the classroom leaving Mrs. Jenkings advising the students on how to be responsible adults. "Nina! Wait up," I heard my best friend Sky call after me.

"LOL, that woman needs to find a life. Telling highschoolers to BEHAVE and act RESPONSIBLE?" she asked me once she caught up with me.

"Yeah girl, I mean that's pretty pathetic," I said in agreement.

"Speaking of which, Logan Mitchell is throwing the first Summer party tonight. Want to come?" she asked me knowing the obvious answer.

"No can do, Sky. I'm not invited plus the waves are calling out to me. I miss surfing," I told her in a strict tone.

"Please Nina, it'll be fun and we get to hang out," she said making puppy eyes at me.

"Now that's pretty pathetic to me. We hang out all the time. At the mall, my house, your house, school, detention, the beach...shall I go on?" I asked her refusing to drop my argument.

"Well for one thing, we never hang out at the beach. Because you spend all your time surfing and catching waves," she said in a sad tone.

"Yeah right. As if you don't enjoy the attention of mature university freshmen. Don't think I haven't seen you flirting, Sky" I teased her.

"OK, you win," she said with a sigh. I threw my hands in the air in triumph as we took the corner to our lockers.

OK. RECAP.

Sky and I have known each other since we were basically babies. We went to the same kindergarten, same summer camps, same middle school and now high school. We basically had everything done together. Including birthdays. Yeah, you heard that right. We were born on the same day! Now if that isn't destiny, I don't know what is.

Our parents have been friends as long as we can remember and that's how we like it. She's my best friend, you know. Get this, we had our braces put on the same day! And we got the same gift for our sixteenth birthday party. I got a black Ford Fiesta while she got a red one. Yeah. And we like it that way.

BACK TO WHERE WE WERE.

"So, we heading home?" she asked me.

"Yeah. I get to change, grab my board and you'll drop me at the beach then remember to pick me up at sundown," I said to her as we walked down the hallway.

By the way, did I mention we were assigned lockers next to each other?

We got into her car since mine was at the garage getting some retouches and service done here and there. I turned on the ignition while she switched between different radio stations. Then she landed on the ultimate track...

When I met you in the summer...

We squealed as she turned up the volume and we sang along to it as I drove us home. We reached to our house(s). We are neighbors by the way. She walked into our house and yelled, "Good Afternoon Mrs. D'Nile!" then we went up to my room. I dumped my backpack on my bed and went to my inclusive bathroom as she turned up the stereo and started to rummage through my closet.

"Don't you have a sexy dress or something I can wear to the party?" she asked shouting over the high volume music. I wrapped a towel around my wet body and got out of the bathroom to find that Sky has removed my low back dresses and lay them on my bed. I took my favorite turquoise blue bikini and wore it while she looked for high heels.