XXVII-BATTLE

PHARAOH'S P.O.V

We rode into the desert, the wind slapping across our faces as the desire to win was greater than ever.

The sun was still overhead. As I breathed the hot air in and out, my mouth became as dry as dust. The reins in my hand burned like the gravel underfoot. The dryness had reached my stomach and seem to be sucking the moisture from my blood. I longed to reach the oasis and plunge my head in its' cool water.

Suddenly it dawns on me that distances can be deceptive in the transparent atmosphere of the desert. The lake that from the pass seemed so near could be a hundred kilometres away. After all, what looked like a tiny blue spot is in fact a huge lake. It was too late to turn back now though - my water skin bottle is empty. I had no choice but to keep walking towards the water.

For brief moments, refracted through the heat waves on the right, I see my army and my dear friend Heraclius with a sweep of marsh. If I didn't have a mission, I would have been tempted to walk straight into the mirage.

Four or five hours went. At last I saw clumps of weed rise from the gravel. The land starts to dip. I check the sun and saw it was being swallowed by the sand dunes that protruded from the horizon.

We finally arrived at the capital of the Medjay. The scouts went around to alert the other soldiers that we were ready to attack and they only had to wait for my signal.

I went and spied on the Medjay. They were busy feasting on the food that we had given them and that provided us with the golden opportunity that they were unarmed and not prepared for war.

Their numbers were many but ours were more and we had the advantage of a pre-planned attack. I noticed that even their guards were distracted by the feast and I decided to attack.

"To arms! Ready...Set...Fire!" I commanded and the archers lit their arrows on fire and they aimed the arrows to the sky. The arrows flew and landed on the grass huts of the Medjay lighting them on fire. Some arrows landed on the dry hay that we used in packing the food carts and moments later, the oil in the wine jars caused multiple explosions all around the capital.

The Medjay ran around like termites whose hive had been flooded by the sporadic rainfall in the Desert of the Sahara. The rest of the army had caught the signal and were now flooding into the Medjay capital, wreaking havoc everywhere they tread.

"It's the Egyptians!" we heard a Medjay soldier cry out in shock.

That was our cue. I gathered my band of two hundred men and proceeded to go to the palace that was situated in the middle of the city, guarded by the most ruthless soldiers ever spoken of. Even the soldiers of Troy were not as ruthless.

The war had commenced and everywhere I looked I saw blood and the anguish of death. Our swords flew and brought terror upon any Medjay that stood in our way.

I saw an Egyptian soldier terrorizing a Medjay woman and her children out of her house. I rushed over to him and pushed him aside. The woman saw my royal attire and immediately knelt down.

"Forgive me, my Lord. I beg for your mercy upon my children," she said as she held dearly to her children.

We had already passed orders that no woman or child would be hurt during the attack alongside with any men that surrendered and pledged their allegiance to the Egyptian empire. I looked at the woman and held her hand. I raised her and let her stand on her feet.

"We respect and care for women. No one is going to harm you or your children," I said to her. She held on tightly to her children and wept as I proceeded to the palace.

My soldiers immediately attacked and unleashed their wrath upon the guardians of the palace as Heraclius and I moved forward and entered the palace. We met with soldiers inside the main hallway and they seemed to have poured from the sky.

All that one could hear was the clattering of swords and the occasional scream of a wounded soldier who had fallen out or was struck. I had killed an uncountable number of Medjay but my interest was only Ojua.

That slimy bastard who dared to insult my wife in front of the entire Egyptian court deserved to die by no one's sword except mine. These thoughts enraged me and gave me the will to kill.

I ascended up the stairs with a handful of my soldiers at my heel.

"You lying bastard!" I heard Ojua's vile voice fill the hall way.

He emerged from the other corner accompanied by three guards. I smiled wickedly and felt a bit rebellious. But of course, I was mered.

"Nobody touch that imposter! He is mine," Ojua ordered his guards.

He swung his club and lashed forward at me. I did what Nefera had taught me. I performed a cartwheel therefore missing his attack. This took him by surprise and I struck him with my sword.

My sword stuck in his mid torso and he fell on his knees. I picked up a sword and drove it through his skull. He deserved that...

But then I had only dealt with the crown prince. The King was still at large. We searched the other chambers and found him guarded by his royal soldiers. The mood swung into full time battle.

I reached forward and slit the throat of the old king.

"Merhut, you...win..." he said as he collapsed to the floor. Immediately after this, I felt extreme excruciating pain from the back of my head.

I saw a flickering light and I could not stand anymore...

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Lights out!

What do you think happened to the Pharaoh and what do you think of this chapter?

This chapter is dedicated to my VERY GOOD friend who has been with me through thick and thin. I love you, girl!

Thank you guys for being consistent with me...

Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share!

I LOVE YOU!