VI-BRIDE(Reality)

Lapis opened my thick hair and combed it while the other maids rubbed precious oils into my hands and legs. My eyes were lined with kohl and shaded with gold powder. I definitely missed my mascara and nude lipstick but hey, it never gets better than actual gold dust.

My dress was crimpled linen that was beautiful and a magnificent shade of the Nile. It had an over coat should I say, of the golden sand of the desert. My earrings were long and royalty. Lapis put a head dress on my head and I think it bore the religious sign of Isis.

Sabiah walked in and her mouth dropped in awe, "My dear! How beautiful you look!"

I desperately wish for my phone so i could take a gazillion selfies and pictures then upload on Instagram. Like hey, make #GettingRoyallyMarried and #JustThePharaoh trending among my three thousand followers.

Dreams that are not logical should be tucked away under the pillows and that's exactly what I did.

My mother walked in and came to me. She touched my face and said, "Your father would be so proud to see you. But you'll see him daily at the Pharaoh's palace. My darling, I hope I have prepared you well."

I felt a tear cascade down my rosy cheeks and my mother wiped it gently, "No crying, my love. Remember, you are the Daughter of the Nile. You have to fulfill your duties and take responsibility."

Responsibility, honor...My mother's words that sent me here to this age. She turned and ordered our procession to move I had to meet the Queen Mother, Aurera, for a pep talk about handling duties of a Queen wife.

We arrived at the Lotus Palace where elegantly dressed eunuchs opened the ivory doors and let us in. Queen Aurera welcomed us and offered tea. I politely refused because I was feeling kind of nervous. After all, she was my mother in law!

"My child, do drink. It'll calm you down," she said in a majestically trained voice.

I nodded and drank the soothing tea. I immediately felt my mild headache disappear. My mother and Sabiah excused themselves and left leaving me alone with the queen.

"Nefera, I'm so glad to meet you again. You know," she began." When I was choosing the wife for my son, I decided on your father's family because his daughters are the most cultured and I knew one of them would surely be Egypt's queen."

"But when I saw you, you had a glow around you like the gods wanted me to choose you, little and shy as you were. So I prayed to Ra about it and he chose you as Pharaoh's queen. My son, he is a bit hard headed and stubborn. I need you to make him realize the heaviness of his task and what it means to be a Pharaoh," she said while leaning towards me.

Responsibility, who doesn't know the heaviness of that word except me?

"Now, let's get you to the palace where High Priest Imhotep is waiting," she said and we rose from the seats and headed to the door.

She stopped me and gave me a quick hug then said, "I know you will make Egypt proud."

**********

"Your majesty, can we dress you?" Pamu asked me.

I turned and saw he stood with five maids each holding something. My thoughts ran back to my father and I said," Yes you may."

The maids gave me a bathe and massaged sweet smelling oils into my skin. They dressed me in the finest of my outfits and I was ready. I dismissed them but Pamu refused to leave and came to me, "My Lord, what is wrong?"

I looked at him and noticed his curious deep set eyes full of curiousness and I smiled, "Nothing, I'm just thinking."

It was about time that we proceeded to the temple where we would meet High Priest Imhotep and my "Queen".

I walked to the temple ignoring every other living thing. I have no idea what is bothering me but I am just seemed to be irritated by everything and everyone.

"My Lord, how delighted I am to see you," Imhotep said to me when he saw me get into the temple.

"The gods are in your favor and promise a great marriage with healthy heirs," he said with a smile on his face.

"Glad you are so happy," I told him sarcastically.

Was I mad? Was I feeling unwell? Imhotep is the High Priest and I should under no circumstance be rude to him.

"Well, The Pharaoh is gods' representative on Earth and I get to serve him. I surely hope my advent in to the Afterworld be gracious," he said bowing down respectfully.

"My Lord, your mother is here," a guard announced and in walked my mother as beautiful as ever looking radiant and glamorous. She extended her arms and I dived in as the little boy I was. She smelled wonderful and she patted my head, "Good to see you healthy, my son."

"The glorious Nefertiri Nefera Daughter of the Nile from Royal Vizier Akhetantku's household," the guard announced again. I turned to see my queen and she walked in, her face covered and I looked at my mother questioningly.

"It is customary," she said answering my question. The rest of the priests gathered around and Imhotep said, "Now that you are here my lady, we shall begin."

They began a series of chants and prayers that seemed to go on forever and I don't know how but I found myself thinking about the 'thief' from last night. She was beautiful, damn!

"The gods bless this marriage and I present to you the Queen of Egypt, your wife," Imhotep said lifting her veil while her maids rushed to adjust her head dress.

She took a bow and said, "My Lord."

As she rose, my heart sank to my bowels and I felt the air grow cold...

*********

Oh my God! It was that guy from the river! But I chose to remain silent about it because it was obvious that both of us had snuck out and I didn't want my first moment as Queen becomes telling on 'my husband'.

He took my hand and kissed it while looking into my eyes. I felt butterflies and I didn't know if it was the fact that no man had ever kissed my hand or the fact that he was a gorgeous specimen.

Since it was evening, we proceeded to the hall where a feast was held in honor of our marriage.

I sat by his side and observed the hall. It was full of important people and the royal family. But there was a section where scantily dressed women who I assumed were concubines sat. Suddenly, they got up and proceeded to the center of the room.

Music started playing and they started dancing provocatively. The lead dancer was a woman of African descent, very enchanting and subtly erotic.

The Pharaoh who had been holding my hand as customs demanded was now squeezing it and I looked to see fury in his eyes. He took a gulp of wine and rose from the throne.

He took a bow and excused himself as I looked with concern at him after which he exited the room. I turned over to the women who had now stopped dancing and the lead dancer stood one hand on her hip as she smiled contently.

I was surprised to find that the rest of the hall were least interested in the dance and only the Pharaoh seemed disturbed by this.

I think there is a more sinister plan behind this and I sat there sipping my wine thinking what on Earth did I ever do to deserve this.

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Hello darlings!

I'm not giving you any spoilers today.

But don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share!

I promise to update soon and please take a moment to read my other story Forced into Royalty.

Thank you!