VII-OLD FRIENDS, NEW ENEMIES

My maids came to escort me to my chambers after the feast. I was glad to get away from the hall because the presence of so many people and judging characters I could not stand looking and eyeing at me.

Goddamn it! First day as queen and I had already messed up by the Pharaoh leaving me unattended at the Royal Table. Ohh, I was going to give him a piece of my mind. Who does he think he is? Stupid rich entitled boys...

Just on my way out, a man stopped me.

"A thousand apologies, my queen. I am Vizier Raeah, your father's assistant. I hope you find it comfortable here. Anything you would like, just ask me, my lady," he said then took a bow and excused himself. I nodded in approval and we proceeded to my chambers.

The doors opened to reveal a wonderful room. Big bed and soft drapes, curtains, carpets from Persia, skillfully carved chairs and tables, cushions...

After I let myself in, a maid called out, "Your Highness, I am the Head Servant here in the palace. I am supposed to assign to you two maids who will wait on you hand and foot."

At that comment I couldn't help but think of Lapis. She was a nice woman, and worked well and happened to be my friend.

"Any trouble and I will work on it myself. Good night," she said and walked out followed by the rest of the maids. I turned around to see Sky! As in Sky?

"My lady, we are your ladies. My name is Skai and she is Rahina" she said, having no idea of who I was.

Apparently their fathers both worked here in the palace and they were given the responsibility of escorting me and helping me around.

I did not tell them of the fate that was tied to my destiny as to being here because Sabiah told me not to and that's how I kept it.

They were a bit shy, but kind nonetheless. They offered to undress me and help me prepare for bed at which I agreed. Being accustomed to Lapis helping me with my daily routine was a habit now.

I slipped on a loose cotton night dress and they combed my hair then oiled my skin.

I tried to be friendly and break the ice between us because even if they didn't have the faintest idea of our friendship, they were the biggest hope at any kind of friendship in the palace.

A palace where concubines control the Pharaoh and I was expected to save Egypt from poor leadership.

I felt a mild headache at the thought of that and decided to call it a night.

**********

I have a good mind to banish Antarta from the palace. What did she intend by putting up that cheap show? In front of my wife?

I changed and went down to the river. I swam around and walked back to the palace. I walked into my chambers to find Antarta on my bed.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded to know.

"Mered, I just wanted to give you company seeing how lonely you are," she said in a flirtatious voice.

"Really, Antarta? Of all things you could do, you chose a slutty dance for my wife?" I asked her.

"Wife? What do you care? Everyone knows you want nothing to do with her," she replied.

"Just leave me, please," I said to her walking towards my bed.

WRONG MOVE.

She rose and let her robe down, her skin shining and well moisturized. She moved towards me and touched my cheek.

"Really, mered? You want me to leave?" she asked whispering into my ear, her voice sending shivers down my spine.

She begun massaging my shoulders and damn, I desperately needed that. She skillfully removed my cloak leaving my torso bare. Running her hands across my body, she pulled my head down gently and kissed me...

***

I woke up to find Antarta sprawled on my body. My naked body. Damn! This woman was a conniving person who really knew how to manipulate me. I pushed her off my body and she woke up.

"Mered, you don't have to be so rude," she said, her voice still sleepy.

"Get off my bed, get your clothes off my floor and get the hell out of my room," I said furiously, not believing I could be tricked so easily by a concubine.

"Mered..."she began but I cut her off.

"You are to address me as Pharaoh, next time I hear that word come out of your mouth I will cut you up and send you to Persia as the feed for the leopards. Now out!" I shouted and she scampered off, frightened but satisfied.

I summoned Pamu and he came. I ordered him to prepare a bathe after which I cleansed myself and he began dressing me.

"So you neglected your wife and chose to reside in Antarta's arms?" he asked me.

"Pamu, please," I said and he nodded.

"Okay, young master," he said and left the room.

*********

The sun was beautiful, rising like a great orange blob out of the Egyptian desert. My maids prepared me and dressed me after which breakfast was served.

"Do you mind escorting me for a light picnic in the garden?" I asked Rahina and she looked startled.

"Nothing much, just some fruits and we can relax," I assured her.

Skai nodded and offered to notify the servants in order to start the preparations.

I chose to dress in a beautiful green silk strapless gown and Rahina combed my hair into an updo. It was a great choice since I didn't want my hair to bother me during the day.

The servants notified us that the garden was ready for our arrival. We began the walk to the gardens and we laughed at silly jokes that Skai made all the way. I had instructed the servants to move ahead of us so no one would spy on our words or conversations.

Just as we wound the bend, we met Antarta, the head concubine from last night at the feast.

"My queen," she said bowing with a wicked smile.

"The pharaoh sends his apologies because he was with me last night and he is sorry he abandoned you. He just couldn't miss the opportunity with me," she said and left.

Skai and Rahina suddenly grew gloomy and I could understand their confusion. They acted as if they did not hear a word of our short conversation and began discussing the chosen array of fruits and wine for our picnic.

But all I could think was, "He preferred a concubine over me?"

But then again, was it true?

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Darling readers,

Antarta is a bitch, no? Anyway, read the next chapter to find out what transpires between Pharaoh Merhut and Queen Nefera.

B.T.W 'Mered' means 'Rebel'

The picture above is Queen Nefera and Antarta when she was talking to her

Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share!

Plus read my other book, The Queen, it's also an amazing read.

Thank you for all your support!