XVIII-CLOSER

"What is it?" I asked Merhut.

"Your father was supposed to arrive in Thebes yesterday but apparently he is missing," Merhut said solemnly.

"Your Majesty, if I may, I will send orders to send scouts to look for him. I take your leave," Bek said.

"Do that immediately," Merhut told him and I collapsed onto the bed.

My father?

"We will find him, Nefera. Don't worry. Everything is going to be alright," Merhut said and he lifted my head.

"Don't look so down. He is the High Vizier and everything shall be in order," he told me then exited the room.

My father was a major in the United States Army back in the twenty first century and usually he'd be gone for months before I saw him. However, he used to spend every effort in making sure that his children didn't miss a father.

For Pete's sake he once called us through Skype when he was in a submarine off the coast of Kenya! And I loved him with all my heart. But now, he was missing.

I cried myself to sleep that night and I spent every other day waiting for the eagle to deliver news that he was alright. That he just got lost in the desert.

My misery made me miss all the great things that were to be seen in the Mediterranean and I was just trying to make ends meet. I volunteered to cook every other day in the cook room trying to get my mind off things and it helped. However, as I lay in my bed at night, memories of my father teaching me how to kick a soccer ball around our yard would evade into my mind and tears would flood my eyes.

I remember the last time I saw him. It was two weeks before we closed school for summer holiday. We had been talking about the economy of our country and the current most profitable activities.

I was going on and on about the new synthetic buildings in Taiwan that were made from plastic but could withstand earthquakes. Apparently they were very cheap to construct and highly durable. He just sat there staring at me and I got frustrated.

"Dad! You aren't even listening to me!" I said to him.

He laughed and said," Today you go on and on about some business ventures and you want me to listen to you. Tomorrow, some handsome young fella will come and sweep you off your feet than you'll forget about your old man."

"Dad, I can never forget you," I said and went to sit next to him.

"Just be sure that I will hunt down any guy who makes you cry. And for that matter, I think I'll have to find you a husband because I don't trust these hoodlums out here," he told me and patted my head then planted a kiss on my fore head.

I laughed because I knew he'd kept his word and had arranged my marriage. Of course, this meant that he approved of Merhut. It gave me inner peace and great satisfaction that my father approved of my marriage and he thought of him as most suitable for me.

I heard the door open and I turned to see Merhut creep in like a thief.

"What are you doing?" I asked him then laughed because he looked so silly.

"Sorry, I thought you were asleep. I didn't want to wake you up," Merhut said and removed his coat which was soaked in sea water.

"I can't sleep,"I said and sat up in bed.

"Sorry. It's crazy out there," he said.

"What happened?" I asked him as he let his shoulder length hair open and ran his hand through.

"Just a tropical storm. It should clear out in the morning," He said and poured a cup of wine for himself.

"You happen to know a lot about ships," I said in an attempt to start a conversation with him.

"Yeah. I spent my childhood transiting from Thebes then Athens because of my education. So I spent a lot of time on ships," he said and removed his sandals.

"That's interesting," I said.

"Not so much. Though I do know you also studied and that's pretty amazing for a girl," he said.

"Yeah," I said and observed his movements in the dark room.

He removed his shit and grabbed a soft cotton sheet that served as a towel. He dried his torso and his hair.

"About your father, Nefera..."he began when I stopped him.

"He's okay. I know he is. I'm sure," I said and convinced myself that he was.

"You fascinate me, Nefera," Merhut said and I was caught by surprise.

"Fascinate? Why?" I asked.

"I mean, you are nothing like what I imagined. You don't have the attitude that many royal girls have. And you don't discriminate people according to their social status," he said.

"You've been talking to the cooks in the cook room and you've bonded with Pamu very well. I mean, he's been saying how charming you are," he said and I smiled.

"That's sweet of him," I said.

"But he's right," he said and sat on the bed.

"That couch has just killed my back. It feels like I'm sore all over..." he said in complaint.

"Okay. Stop complaining. You can sleep on the bed," I told him and laughed. He lay on the bed and sighed. I was just about to stand and move to the couch when he stopped me.

"No. You can sleep here too. No naughty games. I promise,"he said and I laid my head and tried to sleep, being conscious of his presence so close to me.

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Hello lovelies!

Okay so before you kill me, just know that I am a feminist but in the BC era, girls didn't study much. However, in Ancient Egypt, women had equal rights as mean and even had the opportunity to give the consent or reject a suitor. They also had divorce rights.

But as much as you remain loyal readers, don't forget to give a GOLD STAR and COMMENT your thoughts.

Thank you so much!