IV-PHARAOH

I opened my eyes to find the sun had risen and the cool winds of Thebes swaying the bed drapes. I turned to see Antarta sleeping soundly. Her bare back shined with the golden brown skin she had. My thoughts raced to the memories of last night and I sighed in satisfaction. I rose to get out of bed when I heard Antarta call out my name, "Merhut?"

"It's Pharaoh," I replied and she laughed then said, "It wasn't like that last night, mered."

Mered? Yes, I was a rebel. Who am I to deny that? I am Pharaoh Merhut, the mered King. I take up that name with pride. I arose from the bed and tied a piece of cloth around my waist then looked back at Antarta who had taken up a provocative position on the bed with the silk sheet covering her naked body but clearly defined her features from underneath.

"You better get back to your dwellings. A concubine in my bed this late in the morning isn't fit for a Pharaoh who is to be wed tomorrow, "I said running a hand through my shoulder length hair.

She snickered and got up to wear her gown then said, "At your service, My Lord." She walked away with haughtiness and I watched her go. Just as my luck went, as soon as she left did Vizier Akhetantku enter. I was to be wed to his daughter tomorrow and he was my uncle.

"Ahh, the young master is awake. Enjoying your last days as a bachelor? "he asked teasingly as I drank wine and looked out of the window to see the magnificent Nile. The spine of Egypt.

"I am here with the urgent news that I am to travel to Mesopotamia. The King wishes to draw a contract to govern our dealings with them. It is necessary for me to go but I do leave you in the capable hands of vizier Raeah. Shall I take your leave?" he spoke fast and eloquently. A sign of his long term service.

I nodded and he bowed down to say, "Thank you, sir. May the gods be pleased." He turned and left without me saying a word.

I signaled my eunuch Pamu who stood patiently at the door. He went to prepare my bathe as I looked over the Nile. Something about the Nile has always inspired me. I felt a deep connection to the waters that fed our people. My people. My nation. Ha! I was Pharaoh...

Pamu announced, "Your bathe is ready, My Lord."

I turned and went to the bathe where I found two of my servants waiting. They undressed me and as I lowered myself into the wash basin, they handed me a glass of wine as they scrubbed my body gently. Now this is true power.

They wiped my body and dressed me in my royal attire then I proceeded to meet vizier Raeah in the throne room.

"My Liege, how are you?" he asked as soon as I walked through the doors.

"Ra has been merciful. I presume you are well," I said.

"Yes, thank you. Now, we need to discuss your wedding tomorrow," he said. My wedding? What do I need a wife for? Okay, I understand. I need an official Queen to give rise to my legitimate sons who will be the heir to the throne. But that is all I need a wife for.

"Well, your wife to be is vizier Akhetantku's third daughter by the name Nefertiri which means the most beautiful one. She is a maiden of perfect behavior and of honorable character..."he said praising her.

"I need a wild tigress not some nice girly girl," I said cutting him off. Raeah laughed and said, "Oh, Pharaoh, clearly you have a great sense of humor."

"Anyway, tomorrow is just me meeting her and that's all. Anything else that is needed please inform me. I shall be in my chambers for the rest of the day," I said leaving the hall.

This was suffocating, so I went to my chambers and changed into ordinary peasant clothes. I sneaked out of the palace and roamed the streets of Thebes, amongst my people. It felt good, a sense of belonging. A sense of loving and warmth.

I watched children play and chase each other around the bazaar where traders shouted their commodities. One almost hit me with fish in the face as he yelled, "Buy nice fat fish for ya lady?" I shook my head and walked to the Nile and saw the fishing boats out on the waters. I removed my cloak and dived into the clean cool waters. It was a ritual for me.

I felt peace. A feeling that I lost when my father died. He was a great man, a great father and great leader. He was a true Pharaoh. I tried emulating him but I could not. I just wish Ra would show me the way to being the best all of Egypt has ever seen.

I ran a hand through my hair and noticed some girls staring at me and giggling. I immediately swam out of the river, wore my cloak and went away in case they recognized me. I went back to the palace and changed my clothes.

Just as I snuck back in and removed my clothes, Pamu crept up on me and said, "You never outgrew that habit? And here I was thinking you'd grown up."

I almost fell over but I regained my balance and said, "You scared me Pamu. How did you know?"

He laughed and said while helping me change, "Young master, I have served you since you were born. You'd think I know a thing or two."

"Yeah. So how did you notice I was missing?" I asked.

"You have been mourning your father. And I know about your connection to the river. Plus, you were nowhere in the palace. Not even with Antarta, "he said.

I laughed and he asked if I felt hungry. Without even replying he came back with shawarma and offered it to me. I smiled and took it. Clearly Pamu knows me well. I share everything with him and he never overstepped his boundaries.

"So, you worried about the wedding?" he asked.

"Wh-at! No, just don't know what to do. I know nothing about her and I don't know what to do with her, "I replied honestly.

"You don't know what to do with her?" he asked rather surprised.

"I mean, I have Antarta plus fifty more women and the whole of Egypt if I want," I answered.

"Haha, young master. You are required to marry because a Pharaoh without a wife is without life. A wife is for comfort and she can be of great advice too. And you also know that no woman except her can produce your official heir. And you can decide to take more than one if you want," he told me solemnly.

"Will my mother be there tomorrow?" I asked him.

"Yes, the Queen Mother chose her for you," he replied.

That was great news because I wanted to see her. I missed her.

So currently I was without ankh. And my mother chose her for me. I felt a tiny ray of anxiousness of meeting her tomorrow and there I was counting the seconds to my wedding.

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Hello readers,

I thought you needed a little insight into the character of the Pharaoh since we know so little about him. in this chapter I have also introduced Nefera's father and Pamu who appears to be a close friend of the Pharaoh.

So let's get this Egyptian book to number one in the Historical Fiction category by Voting, Commenting and Sharing!

Love you all and I'll also update as soon as Easter which is next week.

The image above is Pharaoh Merhut as the boy, rebel and king he is.

Bye for now.