X-THE DELAY

X-THE DELAY

"My Queen, are you alright? I've heard from the servants that the Pharaoh called you to his chambers three hours ago, "Skai asked, looking at me with genuine concern.

"Yes he did but I wasn't with him," I said quickly in reply biting my tongue at lying.

" Ohh, I don't mean to pry but where were you?" Skai asked me. I felt guilty for lying to her but then again, she didn't know him.

"I was just in the garden. Thinking, "I replied and turned away so she would not look into my eyes and realize what a liar I was. I mean, Skai was my best friend and she still is.

"Oh. I heard from one of the guards of the vizier that you are going to Greece?" she asked without hesitation. But this was good because she hadn't realized that I had lied earlier.

"I don't know. It's just some ritual about Egyptian culture and stuff, "I replied. Lying again but this was because I had sworn to secrecy.

"Okay. So I was looking for you because I heard that the Queen Mother is coming to the palace tomorrow," she said excitedly.

"Why the excitement?" I asked her because she was literally hopping around like a crazed rabbit.

"As decreed by the Ancient laws of Egypt, she is coming to bestow gifts on you. And by gifts I mean silk from China, gold and rubies among other things. I overheard that she herself got diamond-embroidered dresses from her mother in law!" she said.

"Wow, that's nice," I said without the least enthusiasm.

"I know right..."she began and I cut her off with a loud yawn as I stretched out my arms in exhaustion.

"Oh, you are tired," she said disappointedly.

"No, no continue," I said in defense while attacking her weak point. Her awesome care for kindness.

"No, Your Majesty. Get some rest, I'll see you tomorrow, "she said as she exited the room beckoning the servants to follow her. I thought of the bathe I was about to have and I proceeded to the 'bathroom'. I removed my dress and it fell on the floor around me. I tied my hair into a bun and entered into the cool water.

It felt good to cool off after such a tiring day under the Egyptian sun. I thought of little Nina and how Merhut cared for her. How he showed her kindness. He really was a nice person, just a bit egotistical. But then there was Antarta. A sly conniving bitch.

She really didn't know who she was messing with. I mean, even the mean prom-queen divas back in California respected me because I was not to be messed with.

What did she want anyway? Merhut? She could have him, I didn't mind. My problem was her disrespecting me. My mother always told me that a D'Nile always minded her dignity so I wasn't going to let some cheap 'concubine' ruin it for me.

I came out of the bathe feeling refreshed and a bit devious. Antarta had no idea what was coming down her way if she ever dares crosses mine again.

***

I woke up to the glorious sun rays lighting my face in a warm haze. My maids were already present and the helped me prepare and dress for the day. I was served breakfast after which my presence was required in the throne room.

I entered and found the Power Trio (The Pharaoh, the Vizier and the High Priest).

"My Queen, we are delighted by your presence. I am sorry to announce there has been a change of plans," the vizier spoke in a witty tongue.