2.2 The Odds

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Luke still didn't return. Ellia sat at the door after her argument with Han, wanting to get away from him but also waiting for Luke. The feeling in her gut wouldn't go away, something was tugging at her. It was the Force telling her something was wrong.

The evening was approaching when Ellia had enough of waiting and worrying. She pushed herself off the ice covered ground of the large underground cavern and walked in the direction of Deck Officer in charge.

"There you are," the Officer said, "Princess Leia was wondering if you have seen Luke Skywalker today."

Ellia shook her head, "That's what I was just going to ask. I haven't seen him all day."

"It's possible he came through the south entrance," the Officer told her.

"Doubtful," Ellia said, "We were supposed to train today. He wouldn't miss it. Find out will you? It's getting dark."

Walking back out to the main hanger, Ellia the golden droid she grew to love and his counterpart, the little droid that caused so much trouble for her.

"3PO!" she shouted, jogging to catch up to the droids, "Can you send a message to Leia?"

"Of course Madame Ellia," 3PO answered.

"Tell her Luke is still missing. They are searching the base if he's here but it's unlikely," Ellia told him.

"I can do that Madame," 3PO answered, "Come one R2, let's find the princess."

••••

The Command Officer hurried toward Ellia as she entered the tunnel looking for Leia. "Commander Skywalker hasn't come through the south entrance," the Officer told her, "He might have forgotten to check it."

"Not likely," Ellia said, "Are the speeders ready?"

"Not yet," the deck officer told her, "We're having some trouble adapting them to the cold."

"Then we'll have to go out on Tauntauns," Ellia said spotting Han by the Falcon. His attention wasn't focused on the ship and Chewbacca, but on Ellia, the girl with the worried expression written all over her face.

"The temperature's dropping too rapidly," the officer told her.

"That's right," Ellia said, "And my friend's out in it."

"Our friend," Han's deep voice corrected Ellia. She tensed up, still angry about the fight they had earlier in the day.

"Are you sure?" Ellia asked him quietly.

Han shot her a smile and nodded.

"I'll cover sector twelve," the officer told them, "Have com-control set screen alpha."

Ellia and Han pushed past troops and mounted there Tauntauns.

"Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you reach the first marker!" the officer yelled after them.

"Then I'll see you in hell!" Han shouted back at him before him and Ellia maneuvered out of the cave and into the bitterly cold night.

••••

The air was bitter and the wind didn't make it any better for Ellia and Han. Ellia couldn't see anything or hear over the howling wind, she relied on the Force and Han relied solely on her.

"Over there!" Ellia shouted pointing a few yards ahead of them.

"How do you know?" Han yelled back at her.