2.4 Outside

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Ellia felt influential, standing in front of the observant group of pilots in the center of the hanger.

  "All troop carriers will assemble at the north entrance," Leia told them, "The heavy transport ships will leave as soon as they're loaded. Only two fighter escorts per ship. The energy field can only be opened for a short time, so you'll have to stay very close to your transports."

"Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" a pilot named Hoobie asked.

"The ion cannon will fire several shots to make sure that any enemy ships will be out of your flight path," Ellia assured the pilots, "When you've gotten past the energy shield, proceeded directly to the Rendezvous Point. Understood?"

"Understood," the pilots said in unison.

"Right. Okay," Ellia said with a sigh.

Leia smiled at them, "Good luck."

Ellia turned to Leia, "Do you think it will really work?"

••••

The base cheered as it was announced the first transport got away safety but as the battle continued, and the Empire sent more ships to Hoth, it became evident that it would be a tough win.

Large chunks of ice tumbled into the command center as Leia, Ellia, and General Rieekan stared at the monitor screens.

"I don't think we can protect two transports at a time."

"It's risky, but we can't hold out much longer. We have no choice," Leia said.

Rieekan sighed before he talked into the comlink, "Launch patrols."

Ellia turned to an aide, "Evacuate remaining ground staff."

••••

Apart from the distant thunder of laser blasts, the corridor was strangely quiet and empty. Running footsteps echoed in the empty frozen hallways. The base was nearly evacuated and people had millions of things on their minds but, Han had only one. Ellia. He entered the command center to find it almost annihilated. Standing by a monitor was Ellia, Leia, and C-3PO.

"Are you alright?" Han asked them stepping over chunks of ice.

Ellia turned around, surprised to see him, "Why are you still here?"

"I heard the command center had been hit," Han explained to her, "I had to make sure you were alright."

"You got your clearance to leave," Ellia told him, "Take your opportunity."

"Don't worry," Han said, "First I'm going to get you two to your ship."

"I'm not going anywhere with you again!" Leia exclaimed, "Look where it got me last time!"

"Your Highness, we must take this last transport. It out only hope," 3PO said.

"He's right," Ellia told her, "We have to go."

Leia turned to the controller, "Send all troops in sector twelve to the south slope to protect the fighters."

A blast shook the underground base, sending 3PO back into Han's arm.

"Imperial troops have entered the base," the announcer said over the loudspeaker.

"Come on," Han said, "That's it."

"Give the evacuation code signal. And get your transports!" Leia yelled to the head controller.

Han grabbed hold of Ellia and lead her out. Quickly she took a hold of Leia's wrist, forming a chain with Han.

"Oh! Wait for me!" 3PO called after them.

With 3PO lagging behind, Han, Ellia, and Leia raced through the crumbling ice corridor., heading for their transport. It wasn't seen but it was definitely heard, a large explosion echoed through the base, shaking the walls. As Ellia rounded a corner, the hallway buckled and a large chunk of ice fell from the ceiling. Han saw it before it even fell. He pushed Leia out of the way before pulling Ellia away,  using his own body as a shield.

The ice chunk embedded itself on the floor, where the two girls were standing, it would have of surely killed them if Han didn't save them.

In shock, Ellia pulled herself from Han's arms and looked at the chunk of ice, although soon realizing the passage to the transports was now blocked.

"Transport, this is Solo," Han said into his comlink, "Better take off, I can't get you. I'll take the princess and Ellia out on the Falcon."

Together, they raced down the corridor, almost running into 3PO, who finally caught up.

••••

Han, Ellia, and Leia ran toward the entrance of the main hangar where the Falcon was docked. The place was completely abandoned now, not a single person or droid was in sight.

"Wait!" 3PO called, "Wait for me! Wait! Stop!

The door to the hanger closed in his face but opened quickly as Ellia reached her hand out, grabbing the droid and pulling him through. "Come on!"

Chewbacca was pacing under the Millennium Falcon's landing gear, worried about his friend and his disappearance. The Wookie let out a relieved bark when he saw Han, Ellia, and Leia run toward the ship. He ran out into the falling ice and then up to the ship's ramp.

Han, Leia, and Ellia followed Chewie's actions and ran into the safety of the Falcon.

"Hurry up, goldenrod, or you're going to be a permanent resident!" Han yelled at 3PO.

"Wait! Wait!" C-3PO said as he clambered up the ramp.

Han was standing before a control panel, busy flipping switches as Chewie watched a troublesome gauge. Leia looked over their shoulder, worried about the efforts.

"How's this?" Han asked Chewie which he replied with a negative bark.

"Would it helped if I got out and pushed?" Leia asked sarcastically.

"It might," Han muttered.

"Captain Solo, Captain Solo...sir," 3PO said, "Might I suggest that you..."

Han gave a look to 3PO, suggesting that he keeps quiet. "It can wait," 3PO muttered.

They moved into the cockpit where Han began to flip more switches, Ellia watched behind him trying to think of how she could help.

"This bucket of bolts is never going to get us past that blockade," Leia said.

"This baby's got a few surprises left in her," Han told her.

Ellia looked out of the cockpit window to see a squad of stormtroopers rushing into the far side of the hanger. Quickly Han strapped himself into the pilot's seat and Ellia strapped herself into the navigator's spot.

"Get in the back," Ellia told Leia, which she happily obliged.

The Falcon's laser gun began to shot at the stormtroopers, catching them by surprise.

"Come on! Come on! Switch over!" Han yelled as Chewbacca made his way into the cockpit, "Let's hope we don't have a burnout."

A laser hit the window near Chewie as he was settling into his chair. Letting out a loud whelp he quickly pulled back on the controls and the first stages of the engine could be heard. Han flashed a grin to Ellia.

"See?" he asked.

Ellia smiled, "I never doubted you for a minute."

Han looked at Chewie, "Punch it!"

The roar of the Falcon's main engine blast out everything as the ship made it's way out of the cave, into the sunlight of the frozen planet of Hoth.