9

Chapter 9

A/N: Please excuse any minor mistakes. 

_______________________

Adriana

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of someone opening the door to Sam's bedroom. I sat up as I saw it was the nurse. 

"Good morning." She smiled. 

"Good morning." I replied, sitting up so she could do her job. 

"You two have got to be uncomfortable." She chuckled. "Would you like for me to move another bed in here, just so you could have a place to sleep that's a little less cramped?" 

"No." I shook my head, yawning in the process. "The doctor said we could leave later on today." 

"Oh, that is right." She nodded. "My apologies." 

"No problem." 

We've been in the hospital for three days now, and to say that I'm exhausted would be an understatement. After the first night, it seems like nothing helps Sam. He's always in pain, he doesn't want to eat or do anything. He's not speaking much, and I'm trying my hardest to satisfy him, but he's not budging. 

While she checked him, the doctor came in. While they spoke with Sam, I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, wash my face, and fix my hair. 

I came back into the room, and stood by the bed. 

"After we get all of your paperwork and prescriptions ready, we can get you discharged and you can be home, okay?" The doctor asked. All Sam did was nod, and the doctor looked over to me. "May I talk to you?" 

"Sure." I nodded and I followed him out into the hall. He closed the door as we stood in front of each other. While standing in the hall, he explained each medication that he would have Sam on, and the physical therapist he would be sending him to. 

"Sound good?" 

"Yea." I nodded. "How fast do you think he'll recover?" 

"It depends. If he stays on his meds and continues therapy, he should be good in the next three months." He nodded. 

"Great." I nodded, forcing a smile. 

"Don't get discouraged." He told me. 

"I'm not." I replied. "It's just, I hate to see him down like this. I'm trying everything, and nothing seems to work." 

"Just give him some time." 

________________________

"Ready to go in?" I asked him. I had just pulled into a parking space in front of his apartment building after we stopped to grab some food. I looked over to him, seeing him still staring out the window, pressing his chin on his fist. "Sam." I called. He turned slowly, looking at me. "You ready to go in?" 

"Yea." He mumbled. I took a deep breath, taking the key out the ignition before opening my door. Before I could make it to his side, his front door opened, and out walked his father. 

"Adriana!" He smiled. "How ya' doin', pretty girl?" 

"Hi, Mr. Davis. I'm doing fine, how about yourself?"