Chapter 6: Partners

Lucy's POV

Mr. Macao  was assigning us partners since we were going to start a small project.

I looked straight ahead with excietment as he read the name of the partners that were going to work together.

"Natsu and Lucy." he read continuing down the list. I turned to look at Natsu and grinned. He looked around the class making sure I was looking at him. He looked back at me and gave a small smile.

The rest of the class was spent on discussing what type of theme the project was going to be about. We had to make a poster in which we described controversial issues.

"So when should we work on this?" I asked. We only had class time to work on it, which meant we had to work on it outside of school time. "Not sure, do you want to go to a coffee shop or something?" he asked.

 "I can't, my dad tends to be very strict." I gave an apologetic smile. 

 "Then should we maybe work at it at your place? We can't at mine because... it'll be busy and noisy."

My dad allowed me to live at my own apartment. Well a condo actually. It was four stories and I lived at the top. It had a nice view of the outside and the neighborhood. Despite living apart, he was very strict.

"That's fine with me, but it's a little far. " I said. "It's fine, I can drive us there."

"Oh then that works out perfectly. Does after school today work for you?" I asked. He nodded.

.

"Bye Erza! Bye Levy!" I waved to them. Everyone else had gone home or left class in a hurry. Erza told me her partner's name but I couldn't make out who it was. I think it started with a J but she kept stuttering the whole time and when I would tell her to clarify she would act as if she had never stuttered to begin with. I smiled, perhaps there's a reason for that stuttering?

"Luce!" I heard someone call out. I glanced behind and saw Natsu waving his hand. I stopped and waited for him to hurry over. "Let's go?"

 "Sure."

Lisanna came over and stopped Natsu. "Natsu you don't hang out with me anymore!" she pouted. 

She dragged him over while Natsu kept saying "Not now Lisanna I'm busy."

She turned to me and asked "You don't mind do you?"

"No not in the least. We can work on it another time Natsu. Well see you around!" I gave a soft smile before heading out. 

"Lucy wait! I'll go just give me a minute." I nodded and stared ahead so I wouldn't make them feel awkward.

"Sorry Lisanna I can't go right now, I have to finish the project. You know how important grades are to me". 

"Uh no.. I think everyone remembers very clearly the time you told everyone school was pointless." I slightly flinched and glanced behind. I accidently made eye contact with Natsu, so I whipped my head to the front.

 "W-well now I do ok? Is it so wrong I think differently now? Well anyhow I can't hang out with you Lisanna, maybe another time".

He came towards me and we walked out. I felt bad so I asked, "Are you sure? It's okay with me if you need to spend time with your girlfriend."

 "What?! No you got it wrong! She's not my girlfriend, she's just a friend. I'm single in case you were wondering." he wiggled his eyebrows.

 I giggled "I actually wasn't thinking that, but 'okay' if you say so." I smirked.

 He appeared flabbergasted but continued to walk.  As we were walking out though, I swear I could of felt cold eyes staring at me from behind.