Chapter Twenty-One

Jade's POV

I'm totally anxious right now. I've been trying to call Althea but she's not answering the damn phone! Hindi naman ako pwedeng umalis dahil baka maghinala sila Dada. Kasalukuyan akong nasa mansion ngayon kasama si David kagaya ng napagkasunduan namin ni Althea.

She didn't agree to me at first. Muntik na kaming mag-away noong sinabi ko sa kanya na itutuloy ko ang pakikipagkita kay David to cover up my relationship with her. I totally understand why she felt that way kasi sino ba naman ang papayag sa ganoong setup?

But I had to do it to protect her from my family. I don't want to take a risk especially if Althea is involved. I don't want to lose her. If I have to continue seeing David to keep her, I'll do it.

I know it's unfair on David's part but I don't have a choice. I plan on telling him about my relationship with Althea but I can't seem to find the right time. I know the more I keep this to him, mas lalo akong mahihirapan so I'm doing my best to tell him the soonest.

"Jade, hija, kanina ka pa tulala dyan. May problema ba anak?" My mother asked in a concern tone. I almost rolled my eyes because I knew better.

"Nothing, Ma. Medyo masakit lang po yung ulo ko." I lied. Katatapos lang namin magdinner before we decided to continue our chitchat on our front porch. I really wanted to go to my condo right now and be with Althea but I can't take any chances.

"You better take care of yourself, Jade. Baka magkasakit ka nyan. Nga pala David, your father and I wanted to announce your engagement next month." Dada said that made my stomach churn. Feeling ko tuloy nagkatatotoo yung sakit ng ulo ko.

Ahya Paul instantly darted his eyes on me. He knew my relationship with Althea and this charade I'm in with David. Ahya Gab fell silent as he sadly looked at me. Though he had no any idea what's my real deal, he never really supports on how our parents are controlling our lives.

"But Dada! That's too soon!" I commented, my voice suddenly raising. I'm really starting to get upset right now. First, my girlfriend isn't answering her phone, and now this? Fuck my life.

"Why hija? It's been a month simula nung makasal ang Ahya Paul mo. I think that's the perfect time to announce your engagement with David." Dada continued and I instantly wanted to rip that smirk off of his face.

"Pati ba naman sa date ng engagement, wala na rin akong karapatang mamili?" I retorted sarcastically. David came to my side and put his right hand on my back, trying to calm me down.

"Jade, I don't see any problem with that. With all the resources we have, kayang-kaya nating ayusin yang engagement niyo." My mom as always, sided with my father.

"If you don't see any problems with that, well guess what? Ako meron! I don't give a damn if you can pull off a grand engagement party or not. Hindi ko naman talaga ginusto 'tong engagement na 'to sa una pa lang eh." I said with my voice already shaking. This is one of the main reasons why I don't want to visit them. Kapag umuuwi ako dito, pakiramdam ko nakakulong ako sa mundong hindi ko naman gusto.

"Pag-uusapan na naman ba natin 'to, Jade? I already made my decision and that's final!" My father shot back then glared at me. I clutched my fist as I let my tears flow freely while meeting his deathly glare.

"You know what Dada, I always looked up to you as my hero. I always thought that the bond we have was every child's dream. It always warm my heart when someone says how perfect our family is." I paused because crying is making it hard for me to breathe. I bow and shook my head. "But not until now. Not anymore." I added with my voice full of remorse. I ran to our garage and quickly went inside my car.