Chapter Thirty

Jade's POV

"Ma'am Jade, may kailangan pa po ba kayo?"

"No more, Katarina. You may go." I answered my secretary with a tired smile.

"Okay po. Mauna na po ako." She said and gave me a warm smile before exiting my office. I heave out a heavy sigh as soon as she disappeared on my sight.

I glanced at my wrist watch and it says 11 in the evening. I've been like this for the past two years. Going home late and keeping myself busy to avoid thinking about her - Althea.

It's been two years since the last time I saw her. After our night to remember, I never got the chance to see her. It was clearly my fault if she decided to avoid me but she might at least let me explain what really happened. Hindi yung basta na lang siyang mawawala. Even Batchi and Wila do not know her whereabouts. Hindi ko alam kung tinatago lang nila si Althea sa'kin or yun talaga ang totoo.

The morning after we made love, I got a call from David regarding our engagement. Desidido na akong umatras at piliin si Althea noong mga panahong yun dahil mahal ko siya. Wala na akong pakialam kahit itakwil ako ng mga magulang ko basta ang mahalaga, magkasama kami ni Althea.

But David had a plan. He said that I just needed to attend our engagement then he'll take care of the rest. I was hesitant at first because he wouldn't tell me what his plan is. He said that I just needed to trust everything on him.

And so I did.

I left Althea in her condo, still sleeping soundly. I didn't wake her up to tell her everything because I'm expecting to see her not later on the same day. Kampante kasi ako sa plano ni David kaya hindi ko na siya inabalang gisingin. And I promise myself to not leave her kahit anong mangyari.

So after ko umalis, I went straight at our mansion. Trying my best to act normal. To act like I'm excited for the engagement as David instructed me to do so. I'm still clueless for his plan so I just let myself to go with the flow.

My dress I worn that day was the best I ever laid my eyes on. Pakiramdam ko, ang ganda-ganda ko noong sinuot nila sa'kin ang red vintage dress na aminado akong hapit na hapit sa hubog ng katawan ko. It has this laced design covering my whole torso and a v-neck shaped at the back. The skirt was flowy and if blown by the wind, it will perfectly dance with it. My hair was tied into a bun with loose strands of hair on both sides of my face. My mother's gift to me was a pair of diamond dangling earrings that finished it off. I can't deny, I looked extravagant that day. Lahat ng tao na nakakakita sa'kin ay hindi maitago ang pagkamangha dahil kahit ako, namangha din ako sa sarili ko.

But the beauty I admired was fake and pretentious.

I knew deep inside what I feel at kahit anong gawin ko, hindi nito matatakpan ang lungkot at takot na nararamdaman ko. I know I just have to pretend but that doesn't made me confident that everything will end well.

As soon as the party started, mas lalo akong kinabahan. Hindi ko pa din nakakausap si David. I tried calling him but he's not answering his phone. Simula ng dumating kami dito sa venue, hindi ko pa siya nakikita. Pakiramdam ko nga pinaglalaruan lang ako ni David. That this was all his plan para matali ako sa kanya. But I knew better. Alam kong hindi niya ako tatraydurin. Buti na lang din Sally and Kuya Paul stayed by my side at sila ang nagpapalakas sa loob ko na magtiwala sa plano ni David.

So wala na akong nagawa. I just waited for him to come and make his plan happen. All the while, I was thinking that this is for Althea and I. That after this, we'll be starting our for keeps. Kapag iniisip ko yun, narerelax ako at napapakalma nito ang puso ko.

When my father got into the podium and was about to announce our engagement, David came rushing through the door with a girl on his side. Everyone darted their eyes on him, confused on what he is trying to do, including me. I never saw the girl he was with at mas lalong hindi ko alam ano ang ginagawa ng babaeng yun on my own engagement party.