Chapter Thirty-Nine

Jade's POV

She's still the same Althea. The same woman I fell head over heels. She thought to herself while watching Althea stare from the sea of lights in front of us. The view from up here is undeniably marvellous. We are currently on a cliff side of the road, sitting on one of the benches situated in the area, in a serene town in Baguio. Yes, you read it right. After eating lunch at Antonio's in Tagaytay, Althea insisted that I take a day off from work to spend the rest of my whole day with her. Of course I didn't agree at first but after pursuing and filling me with her sweet words, I finally gave in. Besides, she's giving me her puppy eyes with pa-cute face while convincing me to go. How can I say "no" to that?

Hence, here we are.

The town lights reflected magically on her animated brown eyes making it twinkle like a thousand stars above us. Her shoulder length hair dance gorgeously against the soft blowing wind as well as her full bangs. She casually fix it every time it happens. I was staring at her for as long as I can remember until I heard her sigh and slowly bow her head as if remembering something. A smirk formed on her lips confirmed that it was indeed a silly memory.

"I waited for you, you know." She then looked at me, smiling, but you can never deny the hint of sadness in her eyes. It lingers for a couple of seconds until she stared again at the horizon. "Naghintay ako ng isang linggo for you to comeback.. after the night we made love." She finishes with a sweet smile, trailing the last few words.

"Althea.." I can only reply softly with her name. I have so many things in my mind that I wanted to say to her but I can't seem to find the words to start.

"Hindi ako umalis ng bahay for a week hoping you'd comeback," she paused, pain instantly took over her emotions. "I tried calling you everyday but you wouldn't answer. Para akong mababaliw, but I kept my composure because I have faith in you. I can still remember how Batchi worried about me, thinking I will come back to the same messed-up-Althea. I kept telling her to relax and trust me kasi alam ko babalik ka. Naniniwala ako na hindi mo ako iiwan ulit. That you just needed to do something with David and settle everything with your family so we can finally be free. That for this time, you actually did what I wish you would do once again." She stopped mid-sentence before heaving a deep sigh. I can already feel the dreaded past she's about to disclose. "Na ako ulit 'yung pinili mo. That after what you found out between me and Cathleen, kaya mo pa rin akong mahalin. Na we can still have this fight against every one who dares to get on our way. That it's still you and me, against the world.." She looked away from me to probably hide her flowing tears. I know she's already crying because she's got trembling voice finishing the story.

My eyes are already pooling with tears knowing that it was all a big misunderstanding. My heart ache for Althea. I am still hurting now because if I only have the courage before, hindi sana kami aabot sa ganito. If only had I guts to fight my father sooner, hindi ko sana siya nasaktan ng ganito. I would have rescued Althea from her own misery.

My Althea. My breath hitch and I can already feel my throat burning from controlling myself to cry even harder. All I can do was look at her with all tenderness and hope to transcend my undying love for her. That I would choose her over anything else in a heartbeat. Always.

Althea swiftly wipe her tears with the back of her hand before straightening from her seat and stare back into the magnificent view upfront. She cleared her throat before continuing her confession. "Pero hindi ka dumating. Hindi ka na bumalik. Pero sabi ko sa sarili ko," she paused and bit her lower lip, probably controlling herself from crying once more. "Sabi ko, may dahilan ka bakit hindi ka pa bumalik. Na handa pa ako maghintay ng isa pang linggo, or a month, kahit a year for you. Dahil kapag mahal ka, babalikan mo di ba? Kahit hindi mo alam kung may babalikan ka pa. At hihintayin mo siya kahit hindi mo alam kung may hinihintay ka pa ba." She smiled bitterly at the last sentences. "Pero tao lang ako, Jade. Being in that situation once again, made me weak. Weaker and weaker each day. Time was impossibly slower and each passing hour felt like a year." She trembles as she lowers her head, completely letting her tears flow like a rain that's been threatening to fall. I heard her sniffles as her hands begin to shake.