Chapter 4

He's such a handsome man. Brielle shook her head in vain as she watched Jack walk towards the hotel.

"That's the owner." remarked the Manager catching her staring. "Come on, lets go."

"Oh. Right." Brielle wasn't truly surprised. Of course he owned a twenty storey luxury hotel, that's just what billionaires did as side investments. Brielle followed the Manager into the elevator, the doors closing as Jack Dixon stepped into the hotel lobby.

The elevator stopped at the fourteenth floor and the attendant ushered them out. Brielle let out a surprised gasp. 

"It's beautiful." she said. One side of the entire restaurant was made completely of glass. The beautiful city shone under the afternoon sun as she looked through them. It was like a view from a hill top. The tables were arranged near the glass so every customer could enjoy the magnificent scene.

Brielle couldn't help but be mesmerized by her surroundings. She turned around a little too quickly in her haste to see the intricate chandeliar above, painfully twisting her ankle. Face scrunched up in agony, she tried to stand up straight.

A tall slim woman, wearing black formal pants and a mauve shirt approached them. She cast a condescending glance at Brielle before looking at the Manager.

"Harold, I need  someone who has a center of gravity. I can not have her serve soup to the guests if she does stunts like that."

The Manager sighed. "Give her a chance Fanny. She just prevented a catastrophe downstairs. One of our staff almost smashed the food trolley into the lobby. Ms. Dane was able to steady our staff as well as retrieve the trolley without any further damage."

"Is that so?" said the woman named Fanny. She stared at Brielle trying to locate flaws of any kind. Brielle stood self consciously, ignoring the throbbing pain on her ankle.

"Lets see how she does today. I'm not hiring her yet." said Fanny squaring her shoulders and standing even straighter.

"Fanny---" started Harold, trying to reason with her.

"No, its alright." said Brielle. "I don't mind. Please let me show I can be a good employee."

Fanny looked at her again, this time, her pointed eyebrows softening.

"You are very earnest. That's good. Alright." she said waving Harold away and gesturing Brielle to follow her to the kitchen. " How much experience do you have?"

"I served the entree and desert at my parent's anniversary's every year. I also worked at a McDonald's drive through if that counts." said Brielle limping to catch up with her.

"The anniversary bit tells me you have tenacity to do the same thing and you have people skills. McDonalds means you are fast and can deal with stress.  I'll start you off at sixty dollars an hour.  Break anything and its out of your paycheck." she said.

"Thank you!" said Brielle gratefully. This was what she was having difficulty making in a day.

"Now, there's some ice in the freezer to your left. Sit on this chair and take care of that ankle." Fanny said. "The restaurant opens in an hour."

"Maybe she's not heartless after all." thought Brielle as she opened the refrigerator. "I think I'm going to like it here."

A/N: Hi everyone! 

This chapter was a little too short, my apologies. All chapters after this are of proper length and the plot becomes more and more interesting. I hope you continue reading.

~Andy