Chapter 23

"That meddling cousin of mine has got himself involved sooner than we intended. He somehow managed to crash my computer. Damn it I had a lot of stuff in it. Jacks going to pay for this mess, I'll make sure of it." Said Zachary angrily.

"We still have our phones as well as the girl's. We are far from cornered." Said his father assuringly. His beady conniving eyes narrowed as he stared at the cobwebbed ceiling. How he missed his satin bedsheets and gold coated bedstead. Poverty didn't suit a man like himself, especially when he thought he was better than everyone else.

"I believe he is on his way here to Bangkok. What should we do?" asked Zachary as he paced inside a tiny motel room. His father sat cross legged on the bed twisting the edge his black and white beard. 

"Just give it time." He said sagely as Zachary lit up another cigarette. Brielle had never known how avid a smoker he was. Absently, he blew concentric rings into the air. The musty smell of the cheap rotting carpet mingled with the smoke. Anyone with a weaker heart would have fainted or at least experienced some kind of discomfort. But the father -son duo only smiled at one another through it all.

"I have a plan." Said Zachary suddenly as he took a glass of their last expensive wine in his free hand. 

So what if they had lost most of their money? Their classy tastes would never change...as Zachary liked to say ... blue blood can not turn red even when living like a commoner.

"Plan?" repeated his father interestedly as he looked at his son proudly. "It better be good."

"Oh it is. If this works, Dixon Enterprises will become ours once and for all." He said a smile forming on his face for the first time in hours.

How very ironical, that his smile was responsible for Brielle developing a crush on him.

"For goodness's sake will you please stop laughing and tell me what it is that I ate?" demanded Brielle poking Jack on his side to stop him from chortling. Desperate she grabbed the front of his shirt and turned him to face her. He looked at her brown eyes, his laughter fading away as he looked at her lips. She didn't help quell his desire to kiss her by pouting. It wouldn't do top start kissing her again. He promised himself he would wait till he retrieved her phone. He couldn't wait to tell her about his wedding. He sure hoped she wouldn't object to his choice of bride.

"Yeah, yeah." He said merrily pressing the button on his armrest. The blue curtains surrounding them rolled back. Brielle hurriedly let go of Jack's shirt suddenly realizing that they were no longer invisible to the other passengers. 

"Feeling shy, are we?" he remarked as she blushed a deep red. 

"You should be feeling the same." she said under her breath. "There are kids around. Especially the family in front of us. Three young children. I wonder how none of them has started crying yet. Kids always cry when I'm travelling."

"They are crying." said Jack non-nonchalantly to Brielle. "See their lips moving?"

Brielle was shocked to see the two toddler's and the baby in the mother's arms with their mouths wide open. But if they were truly crying how come there was no noise?

"In Dixon Airways, we have ways to neutralize external noises. A bit too scientific an explanation, but a genius invention. With this the other passengers won't be disturbed. But when I decided to invest in this, I wasn't thinking about stopping the sounds of children crying." said Jack starting on his soup, that was getting cold.

"Wow." said Brielle impressed. "What were you thinking of then?"

"I happened to be travelling on another plane once, when my private jet was unavailable and this horrendous couple in front of me was doing a lot of making out. I made the air hostess get them to draw the curtains, but that was a stupid decision. I couldn't see them being gross, but I could hear them. The moans gave me nightmares for weeks afterwords." he explained.