Chapter 47

"Um Axky," said Jack sounding slightly scared. "I know you've figured out where Paula is, but for the love of God slow the hell down."

"Can't." said Axky immediately. "If you're not up for it I can drop you off at the nearest bus stop."

Jack cursed very colourfully. Since there were no buses at this hour of the night, he had no choice to stick with Axky. When he had brought out his bike, he had anticipated  that he himself would be driving it. But now he was stuck riding pinion behind Axky, who was speeding like a maniac.

He took an acute turn and Jack could only pray that they would not die that day.

"Damn it Leslie we need to get there alive!" Shouted Jack over the roar of the engine as Axky narrowly avoided a massive truck. He cursed inwardly where was the ruddy traffic police when you needed them?

"Calm down Jackie. I won't kill us. You think Brielle will forgive me if I did? She probably hates me right now anyway."  Axky shouted back loudly. 

"You can explain your good reasons for doing so satisfactorily when we get back, right?" Asked Jack sighing with relief as Axky slowed down.

"Of course." said Axky merrily turning the bike into a well maintained drive way.

"I think you're going the wrong way." started Jack as they neared what looked like a handsome mansion surrounded by a rose garden.

Axky ignored him as he skided to a halt on the pitch road.

Jack's eyes widened as he took note of the large letters on top of the mansion.

"Leslie this is the British Embassy. Why the hell are we here?" demanded Jack.

***

Brielle got goosebumps all over her skin as she opened the envelope containing Paula's medical records.

Was it the right thing to do? To pry on her friend?

Brielle shook her head. No, no she wouldn't open it. It was a betrayal of trust, an overstepping of boundaries,  a treason of friendship...but damn it she was curious.

What if it held the true reason for Paula's departure? What if she was suffering from a fatal disease, Brielle chastised herself for even thinking of such a thing. But here was no denying that it was a possibility.

"Forgive me Paula," she whispered as she pulled out the worn out pages and read.

There were detailed tests and studies and numbers that Brielle didn't understand. So she skipped to the bottom of the last page that said :

CASE

Accident induced hemorrhage on stomach, four years prior to visit. No pain or notable scarring.

Patient suffers from anxiety regarding condition.

CONCLUSION

Ultrasonography test shows uterus largely deformed as result from injury. Some benign cysts noted.

Severe pregnancy complications predicted.

ADVICE

Avoid pregnancy. Suggested tubectomy.

Hot compresses, rest, exercises as advised.

See with repeat ultrasonography in 6 months