Chapter 14.

I strode up to my room after giving my usual greetings to my sister and mother, whenever I arrive home from the bakery. I throw myself onto the mattress, staring up at the ceiling. I couldn't get Louis out of my mind ever since he made his way into the bakery an hour ago with his new mate, Liam. When I first caught sight of the older lad, I swore it wasn't him, but then I did a double take and realizing my eyes were definitely not playing tricks on me. The voice in my head squeaked,

Yup, that's him alright.

I slowly stopped whatever I was doing, frozen in that moment. Nick and my other co-worker, Allison whom I was also working with in the bakery kitchen, had noticed I trailed off in mid-sentence, as I vaguely recall what I was speaking about. I close the small gap I involuntarily made with my mouth, and struggled to keep a steady grip with the frosting tube to continue decorating the sweet treat in front of me.

It's been quite awhile since we last spent time together, especially when we weren't busy with matters of our own. Nearly a full month since that beach day and I almost let out all my feelings to him but just left out the fact that everything I said about liking someone was actually directed towards him.

I tried to keep my cool, acting like everything was peachy, as I gave him a simple smile and a quick wave, although inside my mind was swimming around the fact that I never actually understood why we never attempted to make time to hang out like we used to. We've become such close mates, but out of the blue, our connection felt a bit lost somehow. Of course I was still attracted to the lad, but feeling mental distance between Louis and I as friends worried me inside, more than it should. He would always be in the back of my mind, no matter what I did. Like that's anything new.

The pang of jealousy that hit me so hard when Louis and Liam were whispering, giggling in secret right in front of me as I took care of their order immediately stirred within me, but that feeling was also mixed with slight happiness. The kind of happiness you get when someone else you care about is happy.

The moment when Louis finally suggested for us to catch up with each other, I felt hope automatically rise within me when I thought it was withering away. Unfortunately, after that perfect moment in time, Nick ruined it to coincidently order me to get back to do actual work. He wouldn't leave me alone about Louis once the bell chimed his exit. But I didn't mind, I was eventually going to see Louis again, finally getting to spend a day with him after such a prolonged time sooner or later. As long I'm with him, I don't care where we go or when it'll be.

I mentally shook myself back to reality, sitting myself up on the end of my bed, running my hands through my hair slowly. I gazed around my room, wondering what to do. My eyes were drawn to the mess of papers on my piano keyboard stand I recently got because I don't want to be just another singer who isn't capable of playing an instrument besides using my vocal chords. I've also started to take piano lessons to keep my self occupied during the weekends, and with the help of my mother - she offered to pay for half the cost.

I shifted myself around the edge of the mattress to the other side, brought the keyboard closer to me, and laid out all my music sheets, thin songbooks and other random papers onto my bed. As I made this transition, a small, slim tanned leather bounded book slid out and dropped lightly on the carpet. It was my booklet I wanted to write my own songs in. I was determined at first to write songs, especially after receiving the piano, so I left it on the stand in case I had any inspiration while playing. I opened it up to the last page that was filled with lyrics of my own. There was this one song I've been working on for the past month, and I haven't played it yet in full after finishing the lyrics a few days ago, but I feel the need to do just that, right now.

I laid the book in front of me on the stand, stretched my fingers out, gingerly placing my slim fingers upon a set of keys and began to play the repetitive melody I've managed to instruct myself without looking at any music sheet with notes.