Chapter 3

[CHARLIE'S POV]

The rejection stings.
It wasn't even a rejection.
It was a 'I don't want you, so bye.'
My friends and I had a discussion for the remainder of lunch. We'd argued about it so many times before, but now we've decided to actually do it.
Some people will call it wimpy. Some will say I'm hiding.
But all I'm doing is trying to let myself grow without the confinements of a resentful pack.

Normally leaving without consulting the Alpha would be considered 'desertion' and the accused can be sentenced to slavery. However, my friends will explain my being rejected, and I'll leave a note. I can only hope that he'll understand. He's a good man, our Alpha, I doubt he knows much about the bullying. It's surprising that the son he raised is such an awful person.
I'd though about talking to him in person but I can't explain the embarrassment I'd feel trying to explain to the Alpha that I'd been rejected by his very own son

The walk home gives me plenty of time to think over my decision. And I can't believe I haven't done this sooner.
Paris.
France.
The perfect place to forget about werewolf problems and just live.

I've always wanted to go somewhere else, anywhere else, but had never really wanted to leave anyone behind. My mom used to tuck me into bed with stories of far away places she's probably never been.

Upon reaching home, I quickly throw a few outfits, some money, and a few other things in a bag.

My parents left two months ago to help another pack with some 'power issues.' They'd both hoped that Connor or I would join them in Paris, so we each received a ticket. My brother and I had both turned down the offer, claiming that our lives were here.
Things weren't so bad then.

As werewolves, our community and culture is spread throughout the world.
Different areas of the world are separated into sections. All of the werewolf packs within these sections are required to pick a yearly Representative. The Alphas of the packs meet a couple times a year.
The Representatives discuss things that effect the whole wolf community, and they pick special wolves to not be part of a pack.

These wolves work in places like airports, governments, banks. They're there to protect all the other wolves from the brutality of humans.
They'd exchange my ticket for one I can use on a flight and I'd be flying towards my happy ever after.

I sigh and try my hardest to keep my letter short.

Dear Connor and pack,
You might not care, but I'm gone. I'm with my mother and father in Paris. Think what you want but I'm not running, I'm waiting.
I hope that my friends can explain my situation to a point of understanding.

~Charlie.

I throw the paper on my bed and yank my suitcase off the floor.
My parents will return when the Alpha of the Paris pack see it fit. Sometimes that takes weeks. Sometimes it takes years.
Years.
I could have years away from this dreadful place and I won't have to even think about it. Not once.

I set my suit case down and glance around the yard as I strip, preparing to shift.

I cringe as the still unfamiliar shudder passes through my body.
The shift isn't quite as painful as it once was, but it's still agonizing.

At the age of thirteen, most wolves first shift at the first full moon of the year. Naturally there are early and late bloomers. I didn't shift until almost fourteen.

The first shift is always horrendously painful and a lot of werewolves end up getting lost. Even more go unconscious and wake up alone and naked.
Some of us are lucky and have parents who can track us, like my dad. That way, we aren't too alone or too scared.

I gently lift the suitcase into my mouth.

Humans aren't completely blind to us. They could see us if we or they really wanted it to be so. However when the supernatural were first being created, the first witches put a fog in humans minds which prevented them from fully seeing us. Whatever they saw would keep changing until it fit whatever the human thought it wanted to see. It still stands that way, though such old magic naturally has its weak moments.

Either way, we still have to be careful.

I take a deep breath of the cool air, looking forward to the long run to the airport.