Chapter 45: Cole's POV

A/N
I have some happy news/some sad news. Please read authors note at end.

[COLE'S POV]

My palms get sweaty as Charlie continues to pester me about the surprise. She looks so beautiful tonight. This better work. I let Ellie help me set up the date. It seems like a good idea, but I can't keep the bad thoughts from entering my head.

What if she doesn't like it?

What if she hates it?

What if she just doesn't like me?

The anxiety was killing me from the inside out.

She began to whine that she would 'go mad' if I didn't tell her.

"You won't go mad." I chuckle at her childish behavior. "You'll find out soon enough."

She glares at me and dramatically slams her back into the seat. Then she put on this adorable pouty face, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

I am so close to giving in that I almost give out a sigh of relief at the approaching clearing.

I hear her gasp and look over to her, pleased with her wide eyes and gaping mouth.

Ellie had decided that a romantic, picnic, diner would be the perfect date for Charlie and I. I had picked out the location of the dinner, however.

It was our old tree house. But tonight it looked a lot better.

Fairy lights were strung along the branches of the nearby tress, and all the leaves and underbrush had been raked away from the forest floor, creating a circular clearing. A red plaid picnic blanket sat in the middle, complete with a rose in a vase and a waiting picnic basket.

The dazzling smile that spread across her face, was enough to make me fall in love with her a little more.

Yes, over the past couple of days, I had admitted to myself that I loved her. Now all that needed to be done, was to admit it to her.

I quickly rush out of the car, using her dazed state to my advantage, and open her door before she has the chance to.

"Thank you." She smiles, suddenly seeming shy. I try not to take too much pride in knowing that I have such an affect on her.

"You are quite welcome."

"Can we, you know, not talk like we belong in a crappy romance movie?" I suppose I don't have that strong of an affect on her...

"Whatever you want."

We both walk over to the picnic blanket and awkwardly sit down.

After a long moments silence, she speaks. "So, did you plan all this by yourself?" She gestures to our surrounding.

"Ellie planned the scenery, the rest was me. I even planned our topic of conversation for the night."

"Is that so?" I nod my head. "And what might this 'topic of conversation' be?"

"I'm going to get to know you better." I say confidently.

"20 questions?"

"How about 50?" She shrugs her shoulders. " But first, lets start dinner." I open the exceptionally large picnic basket and bring out the dishes.

The choice of food was so difficult. I ended up picking spaghetti and garlic bread.

"First question, go." She instructs, placing a piece of garlic bread into her delectable mouth.