The Sky That Cleared

When she was five, she heard about wishing wells. They were lovely little things, all with different myths about them. Her father said if she threw a penny, then thought really hard about her deepest wish, it would come true. So when she wished to meet someone really special, she thought really, really hard. She wished for it to happen so that she could have another person like her best friend, Jena.

She waited years. It didn't seem to want to come true. It just wouldn't happen. So she went on with life. She grew up, faced new challenges and obstacles, but exams weren't the only things in her life that proved to be difficult. She was taken into the world of supernatural, but not by someone special. By her best and oldest friend, her sister, who was caught tup in it. Wherever Jena went, so did she.

The two were inseparable. Joined at the hip and they would do anything to have the other safe. They would have jumped to take a bullet for the other.

When he was eight, his mother's condition got worse. On one occasion when his father tried to cheer him up, he gave him a coin, and steered him towards a wishing well. They both knew of it. His mother told him of them often. He wished, really hard, for his mother to be okay. He wished for a special person to cure her. To keep her with them.

His wish didn't come true.

He continued on with everything, tried to brave it. He was disappointed, among other things. His wish didn't come true. It had been shelved.

He waited years for things to return to normal. His best friend Scott helped as much as possible, and after a while, after realising his father needed him to stay strong, they managed to steer things into normal again. Without a mother and a wife, but as normal as they could. And even to him, it wasn't the hardest thing. He went from little kid to high schooler and teenager, and he pulled on a brave face when he started playing lacrosse, just to try to not be a loser for his whole life. He could do it. He was smart enough.

During it all, he and Scott became inseparable. Where one was, the other was not far behind. They learned to drive together, practised lacrosse together, dreamed about the girls they'd go out with and the parties they'd go to and what they'd do during high school. They would do anything for each other.

When she was fifteen, she took a bullet for her.

When he was fifteen, he started high school.

When she fell down, he was still only worrying about the dreaded Mr Harris, the local chemistry teacher who hated everyone. While she was battling the supernatural, he was battling algebra homework.

At the age of fifteen, they met. Their wishes came true, even if it would take them a while to realise that.

She is between life and death, and maybe this was how it was meant to be. Maybe this is how the sky clears. Maybe this is how both of their clouds move, and how he figures her out. This is how she's revealed. This is how everything becomes clear.