T w e n t y - S e v e n

Twenty-Seven [The Cavalry]

The growl - a declaration of a fight as well as a location signal - rang through me as I started chewing on the sleeve of my dress, now that Peter had what he wanted. Would he kill us too? I knew it was Scott's howl, and I knew that Peter was going to get Scott and Derek and do what he wanted. Kill the Argents. Sure, I was definitely mad about the Hale fire, I was one of many. Not like Peter of course, but mad. I wasn't seeing anything good about this whole situation, but I also had no idea what to do. I was going to have to go to the Hale house remains, that's for sure.

As Peter put the laptop back into his car, he demanded for Stiles' keys, who handed them over with a 'careful she grinds in second' and a sigh. He had a hold on my hand behind him, keeping me close. Peter, however, just closed his fists around Stiles' keys and twisted them so that we couldn't use them to get away.

"So you're not gonna kill us?" I asked, surprised by this turn of events. My voice made him stop by his car looking back at us before he took a couple of steps in our direction and Stiles let out an 'oh God' as he pushed me back too.

"Don't you two understand yet? I'm not the bad guy here," Peter told us both.

"That's what they told Neo and then they turned his life upside down," I mumbled as Stiles squeezed my hand.

"You turn into a giant monster with red eyes and fangs, and you're not the bad guy here?" Stiles voiced louder instead.

"I like you, Stiles. Skylar, you're not bad either. Since you've helped me, I'm going to give you something in return," Oh God, I know this bit. Here it comes. This is the fork in the road that I was here for, "Do you want the bite?"

"What?" Stiles asked.

"Do you want the bite?" Peter repeated, my hold on Stiles' hand tightening a little. "If it doesn't kill you- and it could - you'll become like us."

"Like you."

"Yes, a werewolf. Would you like me to draw a picture?" Peter asked, his eyes looking to me as well, switching between the two of us as he tried to sell the bite, "That first night in the woods, I took Scott because I needed a new pack. It could've easily been you," Stiles' hand squeezed on mine this time and I was sure that our knuckles were white, indistinguishable from each other. "You'd both be every bit as powerful as him. No more standing by his side, watching him become stronger, and quicker, and more popular, watching him get the girl," he aimed that at Stiles, making me put my other hand on his forearm as well. "You'd be equals. Maybe more. Yes or no?" he finished, Stiles glancing at me, his hand squeezing one last time before he loosened his hand to just hold, not grip my own.

"I don't wanna be like you," he told Peter, who directed his piercing gaze to me.

"Told you. Do background checks," I told him.

"Do you know what I just heard then? Your heart beating slightly faster over the words, 'I don't want'," he said to Stiles, "And you didn't even answer the question," he told me. "You may believe that you're telling me the truth, but you are lying to yourself. Goodbye, Stiles, Skylar."

He drove off, making me glance at Stiles.

"Did you want the bite?" I asked.

"Did you?"

"No. I learned to work with what I've got," I told him honestly, knowing that he figured out that I'd been in this situation before.

"I don't either."

He lied.

Without a car, I didn't want to risk stealing one, so with my shoes in my hands, we ran to the hospital to see if Lydia was okay. It was tiring, but the need to know if Lydia was okay kept us going, pushing past attendants and whatnot to let us power ourselves to the emergency room, where we were redirected to the floor and room they'd put Lydia in. Mr Stilinski stopped us before we could see her though, blocking our view of the whole of Lydia, the windows allowing our wandering eyes to peek in but not look.