Betrayal

"Citizens without a landing permit may not land on the upper levels," an official sounding voice announced through the transmission. Evelyn pressed a button on the console and spoke as if she was talking to a slightly deaf person.

"Our ship was badly damaged," Evelyn explained. "We have nowhere else to go."

"Please hold while your ship undergoes a scan," the official said.

"They aren't going to shoot us out of the sky, are they?" Ezra asked.

"They can't," Conner said. "We're too close. If they shot us down, we would crash into the surface. We're close enough that we might even hit the Senate building."

"They can't kill us," Evelyn said. "They wouldn't dare."

"You might believe that, but I don't have as much faith in them," Ezra told her.

"Landing denied," the official voice said. Evelyn spun around to glare at the console.

"You can't do that!" she accused. "The amendment should still stand! It would take a full Senate vote in order to change that!"

"Emperor Palpatine had rewritten the amendment," the official voice said. "It no longer applies to bounty hunters without imperial business and to insurgents."

"Neither I nor my companions are bounty hunters or insurgents!" Evelyn protested. Ezra shifted uncomfortably. Could the Empire have learned that Ezra and Conner were onboard the ship?

"Unfortunately, as you are in a documented bounty hunter ship, there is nothing I can-" the official voice began, but Evelyn cut him off.

"I have an identification number," she said. She let her statement sink in. "Are you authorized to verify such numbers?"

"I am," the voice said after a short pause. "But as you should know, only senators and royal ambassadors have such numbers."

"I know. And as you should know, my identification number will grant me and my companions permission to land," Evelyn sniped.

"Of course," the official agreed. "As long as the identification proves authentic."

"How dare you doubt me?" Evelyn demanded. "My number is 899-724-121-520."

Ezra and Conner waited in tense silence as the official didn't speak, probably verifying the number. Evelyn didn't seem at all concerned, as if she knew without a doubt that she would be granted landing permission.

"My apologies," the official voice said, finally returning. "The escort ships are on their way. Please, enjoy your stay on Coruscant. Your ship will be attended to, Young Duchess."

"See that it is, or my stay will begin with a military trial," Evelyn threatened. "What news is there on insurgents? Are there any in the area?"

"Four have recently been captured and brought to justice," the official explained. "One has seen the error of her ways. She is currently under surveillance at the Inquisitorial Academy. The other three are scheduled for an execution."

"Thank you," Evelyn said. She ended the transmission. Two guide ships circled the Windcast and used their tractor beams to guide it to a large landing platform.

"That went well," Conner commented.

"How did you know it would work?" Ezra asked. Evelyn flipped her hair over her should. She did that a lot.

"I've used the number before," she replied. "Not often, but I happen to know that the delightful 'young Duchess' won't blow out cover."

"And who is this 'young Duchess'?" Ezra asked.

"That's on a Need-To-Know basis," Evelyn replied. She extended the landing gear as the Windcast touched down.

"I'm betting that Kimble is the one at the Inquisitorial Academy," Ezra told Conner.

"And the others are probably being held there as well," Conner said. "Or maybe the military prison."

"Seems like the Inquisitor and Maul really want you rebels dead," Evelyn noted as the three of them walked down the hall and towards the bay doors.

"You have no idea," Ezra told her as the door opened and the ramp began to lower.

A stormtrooper patrol was waiting on the landing bay, led by an imperial officer. They all aimed their blasters at the Windcast.

"Hello 'young Duchess'," the officer said with a smile. "Your escort is here to escort you and your obviously non-insurgent friends to Emperor Palpatine himself."

The stormtroopers fired and Ezra dove to the left, off of the ramp and to the landing platform below. Evelyn landed beside him. Conner and Chopper had gone the opposite direction.

"Don't let them escape into the city!" the officer shouted. Ezra and Evelyn jumped to their feet.

"Run!" Evelyn said.

"But what about Conner and Chopper?" Ezra asked, glancing back. He ducked as a blaster shot came too close for comfort.

"They'll be right behind us!" Evelyn said. "Come on!"

Together they ran to the edge of the landing platform, using a few spare crates as cover. Evelyn glanced around.

"I'm quick on the draw, but even I'm not quick enough to take them all out," she growled. Ezra glanced at the edge of the platform. Far below ships were using the space lanes to travel.

"Over here!" Ezra said, leading Evelyn closer to the edge.

"So?" Evelyn asked.

"When I say jump, jump," Ezra told her.

"Are you crazy?" Evelyn demanded.

"Jump!" Ezra said, grabbing Evelyn's hand and jumping.

"But I don't want to jump off insanely high places with you!" Evelyn screamed as they fell. She closed her eyes and grabbed Ezra's arm tighter.

"I don't want the last thing I see to be you!" Evelyn said even louder, if it was at all possible.

As they neared the space lanes, Ezra used a force trick that he had begged Kanan to teach him. He had heard that Jedi were amazing at catching criminals because they could use the force to almost fly. After plenty of begging (and help from Hera), Kanan had finally agreed.

Ezra used the force to slow their fall at the last moment. They landed lightly on the roof of a supply ship. Ezra grinned at Evelyn. Her eyes were still closed.

"Can you let go?" Ezra asked. "You're sort of cutting off my blood circulation."

Evelyn opened her eyes and let go of Ezra's arm. She glanced around.

"How did you do that?" she asked.

"Jedi Padawan," Ezra said. "Duh. I can't just fly."

"Right. Jedi Padawan," Evelyn said. Ezra glanced away, back at the landing platform. He couldn't see any more blaster shots. He hoped Conner was alright.

An electrical shock raced through Ezra's body and he fell to the ground. Evelyn returned her blaster to its holster.

"Don't worry, it's only set to stun," she told Ezra's unconscious body. "I really hate to do this, but you're a rebel. And you're my only chance at getting close enough to Maul to kill him. No hard feelings."