Ticking Down

Conner paused mid-step, unsure of what he was doing. He wasn't as attuned to the force as his sister Kimble, but he was passable. And he was sure he had just felt a slight stir in the force.

Ezra paused as well and Chopper ran into his legs. He shushed the protesting droid. The trio was in the process of sneaking down the deserted halls in the Old Jedi Temple. It was the very same temple where the rest of the rebels were supposedly held.

"You sensed it too?" Ezra asked. Conner nodded, squinting as he struggled to pin the source of the odd feeling.

"I can't tell what it is," Conner admitted. "It's like a weak voice called out."

"I only felt a surge of darkness," Ezra said.

"I really thought I heard a voice," Conner said uncertainly.

"If you want, you and Chopper can go investigate," Ezra offered. "I'll continue on to the control room."

"Stay out of trouble," Conner said. They split up. Conner led Chopper in the direction of the voice he had felt. He realized as they walked that they were entering he older, untouched portions of the temple. Up ahead and slightly to the right was a door. Conner had a feeling that he should open it. Instead he hesitated, glancing out the window.

The sun has set an hour before, leaving Coruscant in darkness. Was it really a good idea to go into a random room just because he had a feeling he should? Ezra had felt the dark side of the force, not a voice calling out. Maybe this was all a trap. Maybe the only thing in the (Conner checked the plaque next to the door. It said Council Room) Council Room would be a bunch of Inquisitors lying in wait. And that would be the end of the rescue mission. He turned to leave.

Behind him, he heard the door to the council room open. Chopper started beeping and whirring urgently. Conner turned around, blaster held ready, but no angry Sith had exited the room. Chopper went inside with Conner following warily.

Evelyn was lying on the ground, eyes closed. Conner dropped his blaster and ran to her side. Her breathing was shallow. She appeared to be unconscious. Moments later Conner realized why. Someone had impaled her from behind with a lightsaber. Conner was surprised she was even alive.

"Conner?" Evelyn asked weakly. Conner realized that she had opened her eyes.

"I can't believe you're still alive!" he told her. "You should be dead! We've got to get you out of here!"

"Is Ezra here?" Evelyn asked.

"He went to find the rest of the rebels," Conner said. He couldn't quite understand why Evelyn seemed to become sadder.

"Can you move at all?" Conner asked.

"I should be able to," Evelyn said. "I used my healer pill. It keeps me from dying for two hours. In those two hours I don't feel any pain. After that, if I haven't been healed at all, I'll die."

"How long has it been?" Conner asked with a sinking feeling.

"One hour and twenty minutes," Evelyn said.

"So I've got forty minutes to get you to a medical droid. No problem," Conner said. "Here, lean on me."

He helped Evelyn stand up. She was leaning heavily on his shoulder, but at least she was upright. Conner hoped that was because of the numbing effect, not because of pain. Chopper led the way out of the council room.

"Did you . . . take out Kimble?" Evelyn asked between panting breaths.

"She's not evil," Conner said.

"She's the one who did this to me," Evelyn said.

"Evelyn-"

"You can use the force, right?"

Conner paused. Evelyn was waiting for a reply.

"Kimble has it," Evelyn continued. "You do too, right?"

"I'm not too good at controlling it, but yes," Conner finally replied.

"Can't you sense her evil intent?" Evelyn asked.

"I only sensed your voice calling for help. Ezra is the one who sensed darkness and evil," Conner explained. Evelyn grabbed Conner's shoulder, her eyes widening.

"Ezra is in danger!" She realized. "Kimble will kill him! And even if she doesn't, they share a mental link! She might turn him to the dark side!"

"That's ridiculous," Conner said.

"If we go to check up on Ezra first, I promise I'll go with you wherever you want to go. No more talk about Kimble being evil," Evelyn pledged. Conner nodded his agreement. Ezra couldn't be too far. And who knew, there might even be a medical droid in the control room.

"Lead us to Ezra," Conner told Chopper. Evelyn tried not to think about how the clock was ticking down on her life. She had done the very thing she had told herself never to do. She had become involved in something other than revenge.

And it was going to cost her her life.