skidding tires

I tap my pencil on my desk, staring at the clock. My last day of summer biology classes should have ended thirty seconds ago... I look to Leila and she rolls her eyes, bobbing her head toward the clock. She's clearly annoyed about the same thing as me. I nod my head a few times. She sighs, rather loudly. Some people around us look at her, and she looks right back. One of the things that sets Leila apart from me is she can be really loud, and then acts completely casual when people stare. It's like she couldn't care less what people think of her. She smiles at me and then absent mindedly begins blowing a piece of her long black side bangs that fell into her face out of her two buns on to[ of her head out of the corner of her mouth. It flops up and down on the side of her cheek. I swivel my body to Caleb. He looks so cute, completely innocent, still staring at our chittery teacher Miss Mandy whose rambling on about genetics and DNA. He scrunches up his nose like he does when he's thinking and props his head up on his hands. I look back to the teacher, trying to soak in the last bit of whatever she's saying.

"Well guys, I guess this is where I need to wrap up the lesson. Thank you all so much for participating in my three day summer biology lessons. I hope I helped you, and you know my email if you have any questions. And remember, you'll be getting your blood test results in the mail in about two weeks! Thanks again, and you're dismissed." Says Miss Mandy. I thank her and give Caleb a hug goodbye before Leila and I go to sit on the steps outside of Adams Memorial school, waiting for her Mum to pick us up. Her Mum is going to get us and we're going to be driven to the sushi restaurant her family owns, Oishī Nihon where she is going to work for a couple hours. Then we will be driven to my house where we will have a sleepover.

"So what's it like working?" I ask.

"You mean today?" She asks.

"Mhmm, like what'll we be doing?"

"Well I'm a waitress so basically we're gonna walk around with delicious sushi that we can't eat," explains Leila. I laugh hysterically.

"You make it sound quite dull," I say. She shrugs. Just then, a blue, square shaped car pulls up on the curb.

"That's my mom," she says, standing up and waving.

"Right, let's go," I say, putting my bag on my shoulder. As we approach the car, I see the woman inside, barely over thirty five years old. She looks very much like Leila. Her sleek black hair is pulled into a bun on top of her head, and she's wearing a blouse and khakis. She's gorgeous, and very professional looking.

"Kaichou Wa Leila san! Anata no tsuitachi wa dōdeshita?" The woman says to Leila. She's speaking Japanese. Leila and her family are all pure Japanese and Japanese was her parent's first language, so that's what they speak at her house. I think it's really cool.

"Mama! Kanojo wa nihongo o hanasu koto wa arimasen!" Leila says, gesturing toward me. I look at Leila, lost. "I just reminded her you don't speak Japanese," says Leila, laughing.

"Oh! Hello Ebony!" The woman says, with a strong accent which I guess is Japanese.

"Hello!" I say, grinning as Leila and I sit in the back seat.

"I am Miss Nanase, Leila's mommy!" She says, I laugh.

"Very nice!"

"You are from England?" She asks, as the car begins moving.

"Yeah," I respond.

"I am Japanese!" She says, "we are... Are... Leila, dono yō ni gaikoku hito o iu no desu ka?" She asks, Leila.

"Foreigners," says Leila, then she turns to me, "Mom forgot the word foreigner," she explains to me, under her breath. I nod.

"We are foreigners!" Says Miss Nanase, laughing.

"Yes!" I laugh along with her. Leila and her mum speak in Japanese for a few minutes, so I can't follow the conversation. I begin to just look out the car window at the buildings passing by on the highway. We pull onto a city street, with tall buildings on either side. I don't know my way around Maryland very well, despite living here for an entire year. I'm really bad with directions, so it's a godsend I know my way around Servana Park, the town we live in. I know one thing for sure about the city we're driving through, it's not Severna Park. It's beautiful, though. American cities seem much more magical than the ones in England...

All of a sudden, there are bright lights flashing in my eyes. Another car. The car is coming our way, top speed. I scream at the top of my lungs, but I'm too late. The car is too close. I hear an awful crunching noise and the tiny blue box shaped car is thrown, skidding across the street, making a terrible sound like nails on a chalk board. My head is pounding. I can't tell if I'm dead or alive. I don't feel any pain, but I hear screeching and crashing still. The same noises, repeating themselves in my head.

the end. jkjk!

if this gets 50 votes, i promise there will be an update either tomorrow or sunday! ily guys sm! x-e