Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"What are we doing after school today?" Harlow asked me during our fifth period English class.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I still have to stay after and clean the art room. I guess I can head over to your house after," I told her. I actually was able to drive my mother's car to school for once, so it wouldn't be a problem getting to Harlow's house after school.

She nodded. "Sounds good." Our teacher then shot us a dirty look for talking, but the bell saved us just in time.

On my way to chemistry class, I unfortunately ran into Gage, Mason, and a few of their friends. Let me just say that although I don't hate the people they hang out with, I don't particularly like them either. I wasn't too fond of the whole senior class. Their friends also happened to include a couple ex-boyfriends too, making it somewhat awkward

"Hey Kody," Mason greeted with a genuine smile.

"Hey Mason, guys," I replied with a smile.

"Kody! It's been a long time," Jack said, putting his arm across my shoulders. I unsuccessfully tried shrugging him off.

"Yeah, it has," I said slowly.

"Damn, when was the last time I saw you?" Greg, another guy I dated, asked as he put his arm around my waist.

"I think it was when I saw you cheating with Jackie," I answered bitterly, pushing him and Jack away from me.

"You too, man?" Mason wondered, anger flashing in his eyes. He usually found out from Harlow and me what the guys did, except I guess he never found out about Greg.

Not wanting Mason to fight with his friends, I stepped toward him and smiled. "It's fine, Mason. I never liked Greg all that much anyway." I heard Greg scoff behind me while Jack snickered. "Or Jack, for that matter," I added, ceasing his snickering.

Mason still seemed concerned, while Gage remained silent beside him. I was surprised he didn't say his usual sarcastic, arrogant comments.

"I should get going. See you later," I said to them, walking off to my class.

Chemistry class went by surprisingly quickly. I didn't quite understand what we were supposed to be learning, mainly because I wasn't paying attention to the teacher. Once I got to art class, Mrs. Wilson immediately started explaining our new sculpting project. Twenty minutes later, I noticed Gage was nowhere to be seen, and another ten minutes passed when I realized he wasn't going to show up at all today.

Thanks to Gage not showing up, Mrs. Wilson made me clean up everything myself. And believe me, there was certainly a lot to clean up. Who knew sculpting could be so messy?

I was beyond pissed by the time I stomped to my car and drove to Harlow's house. Because of Gage skipping, I had to stay an extra hour and clean the entire classroom. I really didn't see the need for me to stay an extra hour when I wasn't the one who skipped. All I knew was that Gage would be getting a load of crap if he was at Harlow's.

I sloppily parked the car in their driveway and slammed the door shut. As soon as I entered the house, I hoped Harlow's parents weren't home because there was no way I could stop this rage now. Luckily I didn't see their cars in the driveway, so I assumed they were still at work.

I glanced over at the living room and noticed nobody was in there, so I made my way into the kitchen. Harlow was the only one there and she gave me a smile as she took in my crazed look.

"Why are you an hour late?" she wondered.

"Where is he," I growled.

"Who, Mason?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. She must've seen my angered expression better now because she understood Mason wasn't the person I was looking for. "Ah, Gage. He's with Mason upstairs," she added.