Epilogue

Epilogue

Six years later

"Wow, these look amazing!" I commented as I walked through the gallery. Actually, it wasn't just any gallery, it was Gage's gallery. Somehow he managed to find this empty space beneath an apartment, so he immediately decided to use it as a gallery and studio for people who can't afford to use their artistic talent, while we lived upstairs in the spacious apartment.

"Yeah, I'm really proud of them," Gage replied, fixing things here and there for the art show. The show wasn't until the next night though, while my last dance show of The Nutcracker was tonight. Yes, I continued dancing through college while Gage continued painting. After college, I was given the opportunity to work at a prestigious dance company in the city. That's why we moved a couple hours from home after college, to be closer to my work. Gage also taught art classes at a local community center for people of all ages.

"I just hope people show up tomorrow night," Gage said. Most of the people who worked with Gage were young adults and teenagers, with the occasional middle-aged or elderly person. They all used the art supplies funded by Gage and his previous sold work at other local galleries. The artists used the galleries Gage held to sell their own pieces to provide for themselves or their family. Gage was able to work with other galleries to sell their work as well because he couldn't constantly hold art shows. At first I thought our new living situation was quite hectic, but I'm really proud of Gage for achieving his dream of helping others in his own artistic way.

"I have no doubt that people will show up with their checkbooks ready," I replied with a smile. Gage smiled back and kissed me before we both headed out the door. He locked it behind him and we got into the car, ready to head to my last performance of The Nutcracker for the holidays.

"Are you excited? It's your last performance for a while," Gage said.

I nodded. "I'm excited and a little sad at the same time. We all worked so hard on this show and I'll miss everyone over the holidays," I answered. "But I'm ecstatic that we'll see our family and friends when we head home in a couple days."

"Me too," he said, giving me a glance from the corner of his eye. I raised an eyebrow at him before shrugging it off and looking out the window.

Eventually we arrived at the auditorium and I said a quick goodbye to Gage. "I have to get ready," I told him.

"I know, Miss Sugar Plum Fairy," he replied, flashing me a teasing smirk.

I rolled my eyes, smiling, until I thought of how many times he's seen my performance. He didn't miss one show; I have no idea why, because he must've been bored to death by the second one. "You know, you can leave and pick me up if you don't want to sit through the show one more time," I said.

"No, I want to stay."

"Gage, you've seen every other show. You must be bored of it by now."

"I never get bored of watching you dance," he said seriously.

I practically melted in his arms when he said that, but I kept my cool. "Alright, then I'll see you after."

He nodded and kissed me gently. "Good luck, even though you don't need it."

"Thanks," I replied, waving goodbye as I walked backstage.

Once the ballet started, it continued to move along flawlessly throughout the entire performance. Everyone did such an amazing job with their own part, which was expected by the talented dancers that worked with the company. Even though every dancer was expected to perform perfectly due to being a member of a prestigious company, I loved that each dancer genuinely loved dancing enough not to just call it work. I really did love dancing with them and I was glad I made a number of friends while working at the company.