Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

The following Saturday, I was interrupted as I was making grilled cheese for dinner by the shrill sound of my ringtone. I wasn't expecting to hear from anyone for a while, mainly because Harlow and Mason were both forced to see their grandparents again. Harlow rarely called while she was there because the service was extremely horrible at their house. Plus, her grandparents hated cell phones. Seriously, they despised cell phones.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, how is she?" Harlow asked excitedly.

I laughed at her random question. "Uh, am I supposed to know who you're talking about?"

"What do you mean? Stop joking around, I want to hear how she looks and everything," she replied seriously.

"Harlow, what the heck are you talking about?"

"Gage's mom!"

I paused, still confused. "What about Gage's mom?"

"She's awake."

I froze, barely noticing my grilled cheese sandwich was burning. "What?" I said, moving the pan off the burner before turning the stove off.

"Gage called Mason really late last night saying that she woke up from her coma. Our grandmother heard the phone ring and took it away until just now, so I assumed Gage was going to tell you himself," she explained.

"What?" I repeated automatically.

Ignoring my repeated question, Harlow continued, "So he didn't tell you? No missed texts or calls from him?"

I quickly grabbed my sister's car keys from the counter and ran out the door. I didn't care that it was raining and that I didn't even grab a jacket, I just wanted to see how Gage's mom was.

"No, he didn't tell me. I'm on my way there now. I'll call you later, alright?"

"Yeah, sure. Tell Mrs. Jenson that Mason and I said hello."

"Will do," I said, hanging up my phone right after. I sped through the empty streets even though it wasn't the safest thing to do in the pouring rain.

Once I was in the hospital, I made my way toward her room, stopping when I saw two members of the Jenson family: Will and Gage. Luckily they were the only two there because I was going to tear Gage up for not telling me his mother woke up. I mean, who doesn't send a simple text to let me know their mother isn't in a coma anymore? After all, I did visit her almost every day since I had that little talk with Mr. Shultz on Tuesday.

"You!" I shouted, pointing angrily at Gage. His head turned toward me in surprise, while Will's expression looked more amused. I stomped over to them, close to being completely soaked from the rain, and pointed my finger directly in front of Gage's face. It was times like this that I wished I was taller so I could seem at least a little more intimidating to him.

"Why did I just hear that your mother woke up when she's been awake for almost a whole 24 hours?" I demanded. Will took a few steps back from us, though he still remained close. Probably because it looked like I might attack Gage for being so inconsiderate.

"I thought Harlow would've told you," he said defensively.

"Did you really think Harlow or Mason could've told me while they're at their grandparents' house? That's exactly why I just found out!"

Gage rubbed the back of his neck. "Well you know now..." he said, trailing off toward the end.

"That's not the point, Jenson! The point is that I was really worried about you and your family so you should've called right away! I wouldn't have cared what time it was either, so don't use that excuse."