Chapter Five

Chapter Five

After a few hours of being able to practice in the studio in the next town over, Harlow finally was able to drag me out of there to head home. Well, we went back to her house, which was basically my second home.

"Your sister is awesome," I commented, plopping onto the couch next to Mason. He was in the middle of playing some video game with Gage, but he talked to me nonetheless.

"Are you sure you don't mean annoying?" he countered.

"I heard that!" Harlow called out as she made her way into the kitchen.

Mason chuckled. "Why is she so awesome this time?"

I leaned my head back on the couch and closed my eyes, tired from dancing earlier. "She took me to that dance studio. The one I told you about a while ago, remember?"

"Ah, right. I guess practice went well, then?" he asked before swearing under his breath. It sounded like he was losing to Gage.

"Yup," I said, feeling more tired than a few seconds ago.

"You look exhausted," he said, probably glancing at me before returning to his game.

"I'm not," I lied. The truth was that if my eyes weren't already closed, they'd certainly be closing by now.

"Sure you're not," Mason joked. Before I could offer a witty remark of some sort, I found myself falling asleep after a hard day of dancing.

*****

I was having the best dream ever. Captain America had just confessed his love for me, looking hot like he always does. Yeah, I have a thing for superheroes—don't judge me. Just as I was stepping towards him to meet him halfway for the best kiss ever, I came into contact with reality rather than this wonderful fantasy.

"Ow!" I whined, noticing I was on the ground, awake from my dream. I heard laughter from above me.

"You're such an idiot." Hearing that familiar voice, I knew I was either awake or suddenly having a horrible nightmare. I sighed and sat up, though I didn't get off the floor yet.

"You were drooling in your sleep. Dreaming of me again?" Gage smirked.

I shot him a glare. "I wasn't drooling! And you wish. I was actually dreaming of my future husband," I said defensively.

He raised an eyebrow curiously. "Oh? And who might that be?"

"Captain America."

Gage rolled his eyes. "Every girl wants to be with that guy. What's so special about him anyway?" he asked, probably thinking I meant the actor who's played the superhero. I mean, I wouldn't turn down either guy.

I crossed my arms over my chest, narrowing my eyes at him. "Maybe because he's funny and nice and hot."

"Huh, it sounds like you just described me," he said, smirking.

This time I rolled my eyes as I stood up from the ground. "I don't think so. Captain America is everything you're not, which is exactly why I love him."

Gage's smirk disappeared as he glared at me, standing as well. "And it makes so much sense to love someone who you've never met, let alone a fictional character," he said sarcastically, though there was bitterness in his voice as well.

I plastered a fake smile on my face. "Of course! After all, with the guys around here, I have to love someone I can never have since it's all I can do. I'd rather choose to love someone I'll never have than even think twice about loving some guy in this town."