Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"You two are so cute!" Kim gushed, referring to David and me. I simply smiled at her because I honestly didn't know what made us seem like such an adorable couple. Sure, we held hands and kissed once in a while in public, but it's not like we were calling each other pet names every other second.

"Yeah, you're perfect for each other," Jenna added.

"Thanks," I said slowly. I knew David sensed how awkward they were being too, though he just grinned down at me and kissed my cheek.

"I need to go to the library" Harlow announced suddenly. She quickly gathered her belongings and walked out of the cafeteria without another glance back.

"What's wrong with her?" Jenna asked me.

I shrugged, wondering the same thing myself. "I'm not sure," I told her.

Lately Harlow was acting strange around me, especially when I was with David. I originally thought that it was because she didn't know David that well, but now that we've been going out for a few weeks, I wasn't sure that was the case anymore. She seemed to be avoiding me a lot, which was very unusual for my best friend to do.

The bell rang to end lunch, so I thought I should talk to Harlow during English. Luckily we were watching one of the movie versions of Romeo and Juliet, which gave me the opportunity to talk to Harlow.

"Hey, what's up with you? You've been acting weird lately," I whispered once the movie started. Our teacher wasn't paying any attention to us whatsoever.

"I've just been stressed with schoolwork. Plus Kim asked me to help her plan the homecoming dance," she explained.

"So that's why you've been ditching me?" I joked, though she could tell I was still serious.

She shot me a guilty look. "Yeah, sorry about that. I've just been busy, you know?"

I nodded. "I understand. Listen, why don't you come with David and me to a concert this weekend?"

"Oh, I don't know—"

"Please, Harlie? David's inviting one of his friends and he wanted you to go too," I pleaded.

Her eyes brightened up slightly. "He wants me to go?" she asked.

"Yeah, he said you'll really like his friend that he's bringing along," I told her, thinking back to the conversation David and I had a couple days ago.

"Oh, right, of course," she said, looking away from me. She sighed before eventually giving in. "I guess I'll go with you guys."

"Great!" I exclaimed a little too loudly, causing the teacher to glare and shush me.

I was glad Harlow was going with us. Maybe the reason she was so busy with school was because she didn't have a something else to focus on every now and then. Hopefully David's friend would do just that.

*****

Harlow

"So you never told me what band we're seeing," I commented as Tim, David's friend, parked the car at the stadium the concert was. He drove us since David only had a truck that seated two people, not four.

"It's some band David loves. I've never heard of them, but I like all kinds of music," Tim answered. Well, he actually still didn't answer my question.

"We're seeing Marianas Trench," David said, grinning happily.

"Seriously? I love them!" I blurted.

"Really? Kody didn't seem to know them, though I don't know how that's possible. They're awesome," he added.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure they're great. Now can we get to our seats?" Kody asked eagerly, tugging on David's arm. A small action like that made my heart twist slightly, so I slowed a bit to walk with Tim instead.