Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Listen up, class," Mrs. Wilson commanded. The loud class suddenly quieted as we all looked over to the grouchy teacher.

"As you all know, the back-to-school fundraiser party is this Saturday," she began. Yes, every year our school held a fundraiser party meant for the wealthy adults in our community to attend and donate a crap load of money to our school, mainly for the athletic, drama, and music programs. In previous years I didn't mind attending so much because the dance classes always put on a show, which the band usually played for. However, considering that there were no dance classes this year, I'd get to miss the party this year. Thank goodness.

"...and Dakota and Gage will be stationed at the gallery for the evening," Mrs. Wilson finished.

My eyes snapped over to her. "Wait, what?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, probably knowing I wasn't paying attention to her until she mentioned my name. "Since you weren't listening to me, I'll repeat myself once more. The current projects everyone has been working on will be finished by Saturday, when you and Gage will help me set them up in the gallery space at the fundraiser party."

"But Mrs. Wilson—" My protest was cut off by the bell, so I quickly gathered my belongings before talking to the teacher again while everyone else practically ran out of the classroom. "Mrs. Wilson, are you sure I'm the best person to stay by the gallery? I mean, not only do I not get along with Gage, but I don't know anything about art or—"

"Dakota, I'm choosing you to do this for a reason. I can see over the past few days you've been making progress with Gage, so think of this as another assignment for you both. Everyone has their role to play for the night of the fundraiser. Now I must prepare for tomorrow's project," she said, pushing me out the door.

I gaped at the door she closed in front of me for a moment. That's it; I've come to the conclusion that she's literally insane. Did she really think Gage and I have been getting along the past few days? I guess she didn't hear the insults he muttered to me or the threats I threw his way.

When I marched toward Harlow's car in the parking lot, I immediately relayed to her what just happened. I was expecting her to feel a little bad for me and tell me not to worry about it. I wasn't expecting her to burst out laughing though, which is exactly what she did.

"It's not funny! Going to the party when I was a dancer was one thing, but now I have to go and stand by a bunch of artwork the whole time? With the one person I hate? This is a nightmare!" I complained as she started the car.

"Don't worry, I'll be there as a waitress," she said, still grinning over my predicament. I sighed and looked out the window, wondering who else was going to be there. Most of the students who were in the athletic, drama, or music program were forced to attend the party as a waiter, waitress, host, or any other staff role during the evening.

"I better get a break sometime during the evening," I stated, trying to take my mind off of spending more time than necessary with Gage.

By the time Friday came, I was already dreading the wondrous party I'd have to attend the next day. I got through the day though, until Gage decided to be the same jerk he always is.

"Stop putting so much pressure on the pencil," he ordered, reaching for the pencil I was holding. "Hold it like this," he demonstrated.

I shot him an annoyed glare and took the pencil from his hand. "I know."

"Obviously you don't since I've had to correct you at least ten times now."

I let out a dramatic sigh. "Working with you tomorrow is just going to be so great," I said sarcastically.