Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"I haven't seen you and Gage tearing each other apart lately," Harlow commented during our lunch period. David's arm was casually across her shoulders while we ate. Looking at them, I was never so happy to break up with someone. They really were perfect for each other.

I rolled my eyes at my best friend, trying to seem indifferent to her remark. In reality, I was internally freaking out. Every time I thought about my last encounter with Gage, a surge of various emotions would flow through my body—mainly in my heart. I honestly had no idea what to think about our almost-kiss, other than I was better off completely avoiding him in the meantime. So that's exactly what I did.

"Kody? You still here with us?" David joked, waving his hand in front of my face.

I shook my head slightly and smiled. "Sorry, just spaced out for a second. But yeah, that's because we haven't really been near each other." Thanks to my skill in avoiding people, I managed to steer clear of Gage for the whole day yesterday. Even in our dreadful art class.

"Well you two will be near each other tonight," Harlow said.

"What? Why?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "It's Tuesday, isn't the art gallery showing tonight?"

Crap, that's right! Stupid art class gallery. "Oh, right. I'm sure we'll survive," I replied, knowing all too well that I'd try to avoid him there too.

"We'll be there too, so don't worry," she added, grinning up at her boyfriend.

I simply smiled at her and nodded. I felt bad about not telling her about what happened—or almost happened—between Gage and me, but I just couldn't do it. Although she was my best friend, there was no way I could admit that my feelings were starting to change, especially when Gage still thought of me as his enemy. All I could do for now was hope that the gallery would go smoothly and that we wouldn't have too many more projects with a partner in art class.

*****

David and Harlow picked me up for the gallery later that day. I really didn't feel like going, but Mrs. Wilson told her classes that it was the last part of our grade for the quarter. I figured I was so close to a passing grade that I might as well not screw it up.

I mingled around the room with Harlow, looking at the students' creations indifferently. Most of them weren't anything too special. There was only a few that stood out, not including Gage's artwork. His artwork was the best out of everyone else's in my opinion. I noticed many other people thought that too once their eyes landed on his artwork.

About halfway through the showing, Mrs. Wilson assigned four people to the front table where donations could be taken. And who just happened to be two of those people? Why Gage and me, of course!

We were separated at the table by the two other students, whom I didn't know at all. About ten minutes of sitting there and waiting for people to donate to the art program, Gage got a call. I glanced over at him and immediately knew something was wrong. A minute after answering his phone, his entire face paled before he rushed outside.

I was about to follow him and ask him what was wrong, but Harlow stepped in front of me first. "What's wrong?" I asked her right away.

She looked sad, while David looked at his girlfriend in a concerned way. "Gage's mom was in a car accident and she's in the hospital. We're leaving to go there now," she explained.

I searched her face worriedly, wishing she was joking. "Let's go then."

As we were heading out the door, Mrs. Wilson called after me. "Dakota Stevens! Where do you think you're going?"