Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I really didn't want to wake up, but the pain in my neck suggested otherwise. My bed was warm and comfortable, yet somehow my neck still hurt. I let out a breath and forced my eyes open, only to see someone's living room rather than my bedroom. I felt something stir beside me then, making my eyes grow wide.

Oh no, please don't be Gage. I did not need to wake up next to him again.

I waited until they stopped moving before I slowly sat up. Of course I was wrong; there he was, looking quite peaceful as he leaned back on the couch sleeping. He didn't look too comfortable, but I left him there anyway as I walked toward the kitchen.

I can't believe I fell asleep next to him again. I also can't believe that I didn't really mind it as much as before. Gosh, what was wrong with me? Gage is supposed to be my enemy ever since he was a jerk beginning years ago as children. I was supposed to hate him for lying to me about his feelings back then, not slowly forgive him now.

You know what? If it wasn't for our stupid art class, I wouldn't have had to spend all that extra time with him. I would've just gone about my business while he did his own thing and ignored my existence. We were supposed to insult each other the few times we crossed paths, not spend more time together because of a ridiculous art class.

"Dakota! How are you this morning?" Mrs. Jenson greeted happily as I entered the kitchen. She was getting coffee while her husband was nowhere to be seen. He probably had to go to work early.

"Oh, uh, I'm good. I'm sorry I didn't go home yesterday, I guess I fell asleep," I replied.

"It's not a problem, dear. Just tell me one thing," she said with a smile.

"Sure," I said.

Her smile grew, brightening her entire face. "Are you two finally dating?" she asked hopefully.

I gaped at her, though I didn't answer as quickly as her son did. "Of course not, Mom. Will you stop asking that? It's never going to happen."

For some odd reason, I couldn't help but feel a weird sensation in my heart. It was almost like I was disappointed when Gage said that. I held back a laugh at that thought; thinking I'd actually want to be with him was the most ridiculous thought ever.

Mrs. Jenson looked more disappointed than I felt for a second. "It might happen, you never know," she stated.

Gage rolled his eyes at her while I told them I was going to change back into my clothes from yesterday. The paint would be dry on them now, so I didn't have to worry about ruining Mrs. Jenson's furniture. I came back to see Gage eating eggs for breakfast and his mom still at the stove.

"Do you want any eggs, Dakota?" she asked me.

"No, thanks. I should get home now," I answered.

"Ah, yes, I'm sure your parents are very worried about you. I can call them and explain you just fell asleep, if you want," Gage's mom offered.

I plastered a small smile on my face, knowing there was no need for her to do that. My parents wouldn't have even realized I wasn't home last night, and Jackie was probably out all night herself. "That's alright, I can tell them myself when I get home," I replied.

"Okay. Gage, give her a ride home," she ordered her son. He looked annoyed as he ate breakfast, so I interjected.

"No, I want to walk. You know how close my house is, so I'll be fine," I told her.

Gage's eyebrows furrowed as he looked at me. Then his mom asked, "Are you sure, dear?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure. I'll be back tomorrow to finish the project," I stated, the small smile still apparent on my face.