Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

As I walked to Harlow's house—which was a good twenty minutes away on foot—I thought about the date I went on earlier today. David was such a caring person, unlike most of the other guys I went out with. The date was simple too; he took me to his favorite diner and then to get ice cream in the park. I was used to guys taking me to fancy restaurants in their attempt to impress me, so this experience was new.

When we were in the park, talking about anything that came to mind, he asked me to be his girlfriend, which I accepted. I thought I'd just be good friends with David when I first met him, but after realizing what a great guy he was, I wanted to get to know him better in a romantic way, not just as a friend. Although I didn't exactly feel major sparks when I kissed him, David was too great of a guy to pass up.

"Anyone home?" I called out as I entered Harlow's home.

"In here!" Harlow shouted. I walked over to the living room, noticing Harlow was reading a magazine while Gage and Mason were playing a video game.

"What's up?" I greeted, sitting down in the vacant chair next to the couch.

"Nothing much. Where'd you disappear last night?"

"Last night?" I asked, confused.

"The three of us were looking for you after the fundraiser. I thought you needed a ride home," she explained.

"Oh, I thought you left, so David offered me a ride home. Sorry, I should've called you."

Her eyes left the magazine and settled on me instead. "Thanks for forcing me into dancing with him, by the way," she said sarcastically. Gage yelled at Mason for not shooting the enemy, completely oblivious to our conversation.

"Oh come on, he's a good dancer," I smiled.

She rolled her eyes playfully, looking back down at her magazine. "Yeah, I guess so."

I paused before clearing my throat. "Speaking of David," I started. "I'm going out with him now."

Harlow's hand froze as she turned the page of the magazine, while Mason yelled at Gage for not shooting. "You are?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I went on a date with him earlier. He took me to his favorite diner and to the park, where he asked me to be his girlfriend."

"Wow, that's great! You two will make a cute couple," she grinned.

"What's going on now?" Mason interjected after his video game ended.

"Kody's going out with David now," Harlow told him, smiling as she glanced between us.

"He finally manned up and asked you out? Good for him," Mason commented.

"Start the next game," Gage said to Mason.

I ignored Gage's usual cold attitude while I talked to Harlow about my date with David. Harlow seemed more surprised than anything about my news, though I understood her reaction since I surprised myself after realizing I should give this relationship a chance.

By the end of the next school week, everyone knew David and I were together. On Friday, David sat at my lunch table, which he started doing every other day. He insisted on sitting with me every day, except I didn't want him completely ditching his senior friends, so we compromised.

"A few of the guys were talking about going to a club tonight. You want to go?" David asked me.

"In case you forgot, I'm seventeen," I said slowly.

He grinned. "I didn't forget. One of the guys knows the owner, so he can get you in."

"Cool, then sure, I'll go. You'll come too, right girls?" I asked Harlow, Jenna, and Kim. They all agreed before David kissed me goodbye to tell the guys we were going.