04

I CONTINUED WALKING into the night, weaving in and out of trees in my best attempt to avoid drawing attention

I hadn't seen the guys that had been hunting me in a couple hours, but I was still on edge.

After having a while to think about them, I had come to the conclusion that if they weren't my friends, then they weren't truly human.

Sure, they look human. But they most certainly weren't.

When the Others came, some people grew crazy and went out of control- exerting harm on others. But for the most part, humans started to work together. Suddenly, a once divided world was fighting for a common cause...and that drew us closer together.

If these 'humans' were chasing me, they were either mad or entirely different...like the Others.

Crickets started chirping and an owl let out a distant 'who'.  My eyelids started drooping in a sure sign that I was beyond exhausted, but I continued to trudge on.

I needed to find that school bus.

I needed to find Cassie.

Eventually I started humming softly to myself in an attempt to stay awake.

It made me feel at peace, as humming and singing usually did.

Singing.

It was the one thing I was I was good at.

That was it. Nothing else. It was the one and only talent I owned.

I had always appreciated the gift and the compliments I got, but now?

Now I was really upset that the one thing I was good at was no benefit to me at all.

I could've been good at building fires, karate, kick-boxing, track, or camping- something that actually would've helped me during the alien apocalypse.

But no. I was good at singing. I was like a damned canary- with nothing to offer aside from its beauty and voice.

Except minus the beauty part because let's be honest...I wasn't anything special.

While walking, my foot landed on a twig, causing a loud snap to erupt the silence of the forest.

I stopped humming and froze, glancing around carefully from side to side and back to front.