09

Nugget Pov 

I sat, crouched beside Canary's sleeping body. After Zombie had come back with Ringer, he'd propped her up against the wall and draped his hoodie over her shoulders. 

"Nugget, I need you over here," he'd said. 

I had lumbered over, happy enough to be needed. "What is it Sergeant?" I'd asked. 

"Look after her for me, will you?" he asked, his gaze trained on Canary the whole time. "Until she wakes up." 

I'd looked at Canary for a second before nodding. "Sure." 

There, he'd left me to go talk with Cassie and Ringer, who were standing in the next room over. 

I was still confused as to why Ringer was still here, after she tried killing Zombie and Evan and all. It made no sense to me. 

I looked over at Canary. 

She looked like a mess. There were leaves in her hair and dirt smudged on her face and in her fingernails. It was no doubt from their trip to find Ringer. 

Then suddenly, it dawned on me. Only Canary and Zombie had come back. 

Where was Dumbo? 

No. Not another soldier down. I shook my head quickly. No, a good soldier did not have time to mourn over those lost. The only thing I could do now was to move on. 

I took a deep breath, straightening my back against the wall. I looked over at Canary again. Before she'd left, I'd been jealous of her. She didn't need to do much for Zombie to think she was a worthy soldier. Whatever she did, he saw her as perfect, incapable of doing anything wrong. Even though I could tell that was still true, I realized I didn't need Zombie's approval to know I was a good solider. I killed the Other today. I saved myself. That was good enough for me. 

I sighed contently. Although I was surrounded by the rubble of Grace's house, I sure felt like a champion. 

I sat there for a little while, glancing over at Canary every now and then to check if she was still unconscious. Even more so than Canary, I checked the door where Zombie had disappeared. 

I wanted to know what was going on. After everything, I deserved to know what was going on. 

After what felt like ages, Zombie trekked back into the room, if it could even be called a room at this point. 

He ran a hand through his hair, distressed, before saying, "Nugget, listen I've got some important things to tell you." 

 I jumped up from my spot, eager and excited to finally be trusted. "Yes! What is it?" 

Zombie shook his head once. "You're going to want to sit down for this." 

"Okay," I said, sitting back down on the ground. 

Then, Zombie told me what had happened in Urbana with Dumbo. And then he told me what he'd just been discussing with Cassie and Ringer. He told me the plan to take down the Others. 

~*~*~*~

Canary Pov

I let out a small moan as I came to. My vision gradually cleared and I forced my eyes open, leaning my head against the wall I'd been propped up against. 

"Canary! Wake the hell up!" Nugget said, jabbing my shoulder with his tiny finger. 

"Huh?" I mumbled. 

I felt something heavy lying across my shoulders and looked down to see Zombie's jacket. 

"Wait, where's Zombie?" I asked Nugget.