12

Soon, my world consisted of nothing more than my strangled screams and the ringing in my ears. That is, until I heard shouting. From which direction, I didn't know. 

I felt my body give way, crashing into the water to rest on the floor. I felt water filling my lungs, reminding me of my experience only a little while ago in the helicopter. 

I didn't know how long it took, but eventually I felt something stab itself into my arm; the pain was dull and barely there- probably a result of whatever poison had made its way into my skin. 

"Canary! Wake the hell up! Can you hear me?" 

My vision gradually started clearing, just enough so I could see the silhouette of someone's face. 

Ringer. 

"Where's Z-" I started. 

Ringer shook her head, impatient and clearly annoyed. "He's got caught up with some soldiers. He's fine. Listen, you're affected pretty badly by the poison. I found an antidote, immunity or whatever it's called. It's the same one Vosch and the other soldiers took before heading to the safe barracks. I don't know the lasting effects you'll have, but the antidote should help with the worst of it." 

My head started spinning, I wasn't sure if it was from Ringer's words coming out in a jumbled, almost incoherent mess, or if it was a result of the poison.

"Where's Cassie?" I asked. I slowly pulled myself off the ground, every inch of my skin tingling, sending signals of warning. 

Ringer pointed gravely behind me, and I spun around to see Cassie sitting in the chair. She was strapped into the chair, wires of varying colors attached to the head gear she was wearing. 

Her eyes were open still, blinking slowly as if she didn't render the chaos erupting around her. 

"What?-" 

"I'm plugging myself into Wonderland," Cassie said calmly, her words coming out in a sedated drawl. "To find out what happened to Evan," she said. 

I looked cautiously over at Ringer. "This wasn't part of the plan," I said. 

None of us knew exactly what would happen if plugged into Wonderland. 

And how exactly was she going to find Evan's information? Wonderland consisted of every individual's emotions and memories who had ever been injected with one of the Other's trackers. Information about all the child soldiers was in there, swimming freely. Wonderland was the essence of the humanity that remained. 

"To get Evan's information, she'll have to take it all," Ringer said quietly. 

Cassie nodded, still able to resist the pull of Wonderland. "I'll know everything," she said airily, her eyes finally closing as she succumbed to power of the Others' system. 

"She'll know everything about the base," Ringer clarified. "The layout, the codes. She'll be invincible- able to destroy the Others." 

I watched as Cassie started writhing and turning in the seat, her face screaming agony. Her eyes shot open, suddenly overtaken by the jolts of energy entering her body. Her fists curled and uncurled, her knuckles turning white. 

I tore my gaze away, unable to watch her in pain anymore. I couldn't help but feel slightly betrayed. Ringer talked as if this- Cassie downloading herself in Wonderland - was the plan all along. I wondered why I appeared to be the only one not aware of what was going on. 

"I'll explain it to you later-" Ringer said, cutting herself off when a yell of anguish erupted from the hall. 

Zombie.