12

I woke up the next morning, confused to be alone; Nugget and Zombie were no where in sight

I blinked a couple times, trying to adjust my eyes to the bright sun shining through the window. The light was deceiving; the cold air from the outside penetrated the glass, chilling the inside of the hotel.

Honestly, it'd been winter for far too long. I was ready for spring.

I pulled the blanket back, sitting up.

It must've been at least mid afternoon. How had I slept that long? And why hadn't someone bothered to wake me up?

"Zombie?" I tried, my voice barely above a whisper.

It took me a second, but then I quickly pushed myself off the ground, rushing out of the room and into the hallway.

Maybe something was wrong. The hotel was surprisingly quite- even the rats seemed to be having an off day.

"Nugget?" I called. "Zombie?!" I said louder.

"Hey, hey. It's ok, we're here," Zombie said, emerging from the doorway a couple rooms down.

I let out a sigh of relief as he came over.

"You were sleeping, I didn't want to wake you," he said quietly. "But good news - Cassie and Evan got the bomb out."

I shook my head once, surprised. "They got it out?" I paused. "And Megan is still alive?"

How long exactly had I been asleep?

He nodded. "Yeah. And I think we've found a way to detonate the bomb."

I shook my head again. "What? Why on earth would we want to detonate the bomb?"

I was fully awake now. We had just gotten the bomb out without Megan blowing the entire hotel to Dubuque. And now they wanted to do exactly that. What had I missed?

Zombie was about to respond but I started to nod quickly, understanding. "If we set off the bomb then the Others will think their plan worked."

Zombie nodded, confirming my theory. "We're going to take some CO2 canisters from the diner across the street," he said. "From the soda fountains."

I crossed my arms, slightly irritated. I didn't know why I was as annoyed as I was, but the rest of the squad had extracted a bomb and formulated a whole plan in the couple extra hours I'd slept. As petty as it sounded, I felt left out.

I coughed. "Ok, and once we have the canisters, how exactly are we going to set the bomb off without killing ourselves?"

"We're setting it in the elevator shaft!" Dumbo called from down the hall.

I looked around Zombie to Dumbo. So everyone knew but me. Ok.

I nodded. "Alright, thanks Dumbo!"