08

"Who is she? Did you see her face?" Zombie asked impatiently, making an effort to get up

I gently pressed my finger into his chest, pushing him back down. "Stay," I said. "You're not getting up, got it?"

Without wait for his response, I moved over to the window, glancing outside.

White snow. White trees. White world. There was no girl.

"I don't know. But it's not Ringer if that's who you're thinking about. I couldn't catch much of her, just a glimpse...but she seemed small." Dumbo said, shifting slightly by the doorway.

"A young girl then?" I asked, my eyes gliding over the deceivingly peaceful landscape.

Dumbo nodded. "I didn't recognize her. I don't know which direction she came from. Poundcake, Flint, and I did heard a chopper about twenty minutes ago. I don't kn-"

"You what?"Zombie asked, his eyes narrowing.

"We heard a chopper?" Dumbo asked slowly, darting his eyes everywhere but at Zombie's face.

"You heard a chopper and you didn't think that was something I should know about?" Zombie asked, his tone turning cold and harsh. "That could've been the fucking Others-this girl could be an Other."

"We uh didn't want to interrupt you two for something that may or may not have been a big deal..." Dumbo trailed off, looking down at his feet uncomfortably.

Ok, this wasn't helping anything. The girl was still heading towards us- it was quite likely she was already inside the hotel.

"Can you two plan on finishing this conversation later?" I cut in. "Is anyone doing anything about the girl right now?" I asked, turning to Dumbo.

"Flint and Poundcake are on watch..."

I nodded quickly. "Let's go," I said to Dumbo.

Dumbo pursed his lips, giving me a curt nod. He turned around and stepped back into the hall.

I took a step forward, making my way to the door until I heard rustling behind. I swiveled around on my feet to face Zombie. "Don't move," I said.

He forced himself to his feet, grabbing his shirt from the ground.

"I'm not going to just sit here," Zombie said crossly, looking at me out of the corner of his eye.

He slid his shirt on over his head, tugging it down over the fresh bandages wrapped around his lower abdomen.

If it weren't for the girl we expected to be here any minute, I'd take my own sweet time savoring the view I had right now.