10

"Everyone, come in close," Ringer barked, crouching down of the diagram scribbled on the ground. 

The lot of us were there, dressed in dead soldiers' uniforms, listening to the plan Ringer had created. 

We would hijack the incoming helicopter and demand the pilot take us to the base. 

Apparently Ringer knew the pilot since he'd been the same one during her time there with the other squad. I suppose this would come to our advantage but still, the plan was simple and there was plenty of room for error. 

"Once we get to the base and land the helicopter-" 

"What if we can't land the helicopter?" I asked, butting in. It seemed to me she was brushing over any possibility of things not going our way. "What if the pilot refuses to land?" 

Ringer looked up from the floor, her face reading of annoyance. "Then we land the plane a little ways from the base and walk on foot," she said plainly. 

I nodded once, accepting her straightforward alternative. After all the time I'd spent with Ringer, I learned that there was a point where you just ceded all doubt and stopped talking. 

"Anyway, like I was saying," Ringer continued, "Once we get there, we infiltrate the base by going into these entrances." Ringer pointed to two openings on either side of her diagram. "We'll be splitting up, of course," she said. 

Zombie coughed slightly. "Is there a safe place half of us can stay while the others infiltrate the base," he said. 

There took no explaining to know he was referring to Nugget and Megan. Sure, Nugget had killed an Other and was skilled in combat techniques. But he was still a kid and if there was an opportunity to keep him out of harm's way, then we'd take it. 

Ringer's eyes darted quickly to Nugget and Megan, understanding. "Fine, then half of us will stay by the helicopter. That way, if things go to shit, we have a team able to start the helicopter while the others find a way out." 

Cassie nodded, pleased with the change in plan. "And we'll figure out who stays at the helicopter when she gets there," she said. 

I nodded slowly. If we mentioned Nugget staying behind now, he'd throw some flamboyant tantrum and that was exactly what we didn't need right now.  

"Yes," Ringer said impatiently. "Anyway, those not staying at the helo will break up into two groups, dividing themselves between the two entrances. Once in, the goal is to find Evan and the main control room. Kill anyone and everyone along the way if needed. We need to shut this shit down before...well you know what," she trailed off. 

The room was silent. We all knew tomorrow was the day the mothership would bomb every city and destroy any remaining evidence of mankind. 

It was now or never. 

~*~*~*~

We crouched down so that our bodies were hidden by the wreckage of Grace's house. 

The incoming sound of the helicopter bellowed above us, its blades cutting the sky in double time. Once it was in sight of the once-peaceful house, it began to lower carefully, finally resting in a patch of grass about ten yards away. 

It's blades kept turning had to hold my helmet down, afraid it would be blown off and give away our cover. 

I looked over at Ringer, who was a couple feet away, hiding behind a large block of cement. She met my eyes and nodded once, flicking two of her fingers forward.