13

FINALLY

FINALLY.

If I could use one word to describe Squad 53 graduating, that would be it.

We were currently standing in our assigned rows, our hands behind our backs with our eyes staring forward at Voche.

He was going on and on about fighting the Others, about how we were the earth's last chance, and about what responsibilities came with graduating. He had been talking for awhile, his stern voice echoing through the still, quiet room for what seemed like ages. All the while, the squads in the room kept at attention, showing their superior full respect.

No one wanted to screw up their chance at graduating, especially not now. Reznik had made it quite clear that Squad 53 could be kept from graduating at any point until Voche concluded the ceremony. That meant being on our very best behavior until Voche stepped down from the stage.

Ringer had also threatened to kill us if we did anything stupid, so there was that.

"With graduating comes more responsibility and harder, longer days. Your lives are about to change- if they haven't enough already. In a matter of days, each one of you will go out into the field and fight for what's rightfully yours, what's been taken from you, " Voche bellowed. "The world is counting on you to do what they couldn't do - destroy the Others and bring back peace to our great planet."

I pursed my lips, starting to feel the pain from standing still for so long. I hoped Voche would hurry up already.

I took a quick peak over at Zombie, moving only my eyes to avoid getting scolded for breaking my stance.

He, like the rest of us in the room, was wearing one of the navy jumpsuits that had been entrusted to us. But unlike the majority of us, he was as still as a statue, seeming not to be fazed by the length of time we'd been standing. He was the picture of a perfect soldier, which I suppose is why he was chosen as our leader, opposed to Flintstone, who had been fidgeting ever since we had taken our position on the floor.

My eyes moved back to the front of the room, just as Voche finished his speech and sent us off.

In unison we responded, "Sir, yes, Sir!"

With a quick swivel of our boots, we followed Squad 49 and the two squads in front of them out the door. There, Reznik was waiting for us.

"Congratulations, Squad 53," she said. "I never saw you graduating for awhile there, but you seemed to pull through. Now it's time for the hard part," she continued, marching off down the corridor.

After all the time we'd been at Camp Haven, we knew not to question her anymore. If she walked, we followed.

"Thank god that's over," Flintstone grumbled. "I thought we'd be in there forever."

"We wouldn't have been there at all if you had continued to fidget like a drunk rabbit," Poundcake said.

"Now that we've graduated, I hope I don't have to work with you losers anymore," Ringer said, rolling her eyes.