13

"Bitch!" 

A fist collided with the side of Grace's face. 

It wasn't strong enough to knock Grace off me, but it was enough for Grace to loosen her grip slightly on my neck. 

Despite the weak and tired ache of my body, I twisted out of her grasp. 

Flintstone brought his fist back, no doubt with full intent to hit Grace again, but Grace was ready this time. She reached up and twisted his arm, sending Flintstone crumbling to the ground, yelling in pain.  

I scrambled to my feet just as Dumbo and Poundcake erupted from a door down the hall. 

"What's-" Dumbo clamped his mouth shut, his eyes widening. 

"Zombie!" He called, just before Grace lurched towards him, taking him into a choke hold. 

Then Cassie and Zombie rushed out of the room. Zombie's eyes met mine for a split second. He took a step towards me but I shook my head once, hoping he'd understand my warning. 

Zombie didn't knew what Grace was capable of. None of them did. 

"You must be Cassiopeia," Grace sneered, her eyes narrowing at Cassie. 

"Who the hell are  you? What do you want?" Cassie demanded, her hand on the handle of the knife in her belt. 

I could tell she was trying to look threatening, but with the cropped hair, small figure and disheveled appearance, she had nothing on Grace. 

And Grace knew that. 

On top of it all, Grace had the leverage of being an Other, which the rest of them had absolutely no idea about. 

Grace just sent her a small, sick smile, tightening her grip around Dumbo's neck. 

"Let him go," Zombie said through gritted teeth. 

Dumbo reached up, his fingers fumbling around Grace's arm. 

His feet were off the ground now. 

His face was growing red. 

I took a small step forward, but Grace head snapped towards me, almost as if she'd sensed my movement. 

One glare from her sent me retreating back to the wall. 

The only thing that'd stop Grace now was if she got what, or who she wanted. Evan. 

 Evan must've been able to muster the strength to drag himself off the ground because he emerged slowly from the doorway. 

"Grace," he said. 

Evan's eyes met mine for a fleeting second before settling again on Grace. 

We both knew. We knew what she was capable of. And we both knew what she'd come for. 

"What was that?" Flintstone asked, pointing from Evan to me. 

He'd finally lifted himself from the ground, cradling his injured arm to his chest. 

I shook my head once, giving him the same warning I'd given Zombie only moments earlier. 

"Let him go," Evan said softly, holding up his hands. "I know it's me you've come for. So don't hurt him." 

Cassie's face read of confusion. And barely hidden behind the confusion, there was anger. Her knuckles turned white as her grip on the knife tightened. 

"Let him go and let's talk alone...in the room. Just you and me, exactly the way you want it," Evan said, his voice unwavering and calm. 

Grace seemed to think about his proposal for a moment before pushing Dumbo away from her. His head crashed against the wall and he fell to the floor.