11

Nugget Pov

Nugget Pov

We were all sitting around Evan. Aside from Bear, of course. He was sitting on my bed in the other room. I figured I didn't need him as much anymore- it was time for me to grow up.

Minus Bear, Cassie, Dumbo, Zombie, Canary, Poundcake, Flintstone, and I stared at Evan, our eyes bearing into his body. Wake up! we all seemed screamed.

Megan wasn't getting better and we'd procrastinated doing anything about her for a couple days now, which according to Zombie, was too long. We needed to do something before something bad happened. What that was, I didn't know. But Zombie was the leader and I trusted that he knew what he was talking about.

So here we were, all of us sitting on the floor, hoping that Evan would either wake up or that an answer would miraculously come to one of us.

"Anyone have anything?" Flintstone asked.

Our eyes darted momentarily to Flintstone.

"No," Cassie said, her voice breaking.

From the little time I'd seen Cassie around Evan, I knew that he meant a lot to her. This was probably the hardest on her than it was on anyone else. I felt bad. But at the same time, he was an Other. He killed Mommy and Daddy. So honestly, I didn't care if he died or lived.

"No," Dumbo said, trailing off.

Dumbo was disappointed too. Not that Evan was unconscious, but that he was unconscious and despite having medical training, Dumbo couldn't do anything about it. Dumbo blamed himself for the issues we were having with Megan because we were all counting on Evan to pull us out of this rut.

I looked over to Zombie, waiting for him to say something before I did.

He rubbed his eyes before running his hard through his hair. Zombie's hair was longer now than before. He never let Cassie cut his hair, so I was going to start doing the same.

"Ok, what are our options?" Canary asked.

"We can leave her," Flintstone said quietly. "We can leave her and go to the caverns Ringer set out to find. Maybe we'll even catch Ringer on her way back."

"We're not leaving Megan!" I said. "What is she going to do without us? She's going to die!"

"She's probably going to die regardless of what we do," Zombie said.

I shut my mouth. I didn't want to leave Megan but I also didn't want to disagree with Zombie.

"Well there's got to be something we can do," Cassie said, frustrated. "How's Megan doing exactly, Dumbo?" she asked.

Dumbo shook his head softly. "Not great. She's slipping in and out of consciousness. Whenever she is awake, she can't say or do anything. I'm not a doctor or anything-" Dumbo always made sure to add that "-but unless we figure out something to help her, she's probably not going to make it."