12

Nugget pov

Nugget pov

I STARED UP at the ceiling and pulled the blanket up to the bottom of my chin. I gripped the edge of the blanket tightly, wrapping my fists around them. I had once believed that my blanket would protect me from all the scary monsters, as if pulling it over my eyes would make all those big bad monsters go away. But I knew better now. Mommy was gone. There were bad guys out there trying to kill all us. And Cassie still hadn't come even though she had promised.

I was scared.

I was scared that Cassie wouldn't come.

I was scared that I would never see Bear again.

Oh Bear. I miss you. I thought.

Oh Cassie. Please come.

There was a crack in the ceiling and I pulled the blanket up over my eyes, wiggling down inside it. I could just imagine one of those green, ugly monsters squeezing through the crack and jumping down to my bed to take me away. Its horrible, sucking arms would plunge itself into my eyes and make its way to my brain, and I would become one of the things that killed Mommy.

I shivered, squeezing my eyes shut as tightly as I could.

I knew that wasn't how the monsters killed...but just the thought of it made my stomach churn. I wished I could just wake up and be back at home, with Mommy, with Daddy, with Cassie, and with Bear. I just wanted everything to go back to what it used to be like; I missed coloring and reading my books...especially the ones with Winnie The Pooh. Those were my favorite.

A single tear cascaded down my cheek and I hastily wiped it away with the blanket.

I missed Winnie The Pooh. I missed Bear. I missed Cassie. I missed Mommy and Daddy.

Before long, the single tear gave way to a thousand more, and my body shook with sobs.

I missed them.

I wanted them like Winnie The Pooh wanted honey. I needed them like Winnie The Pooh needed honey. I couldn't do this without them.

"Nugget?"

I peered out of the blanket, bringing it down far enough to look at Canary.

Canary stood by the foot of my bed. She looked worried. Well, Canary always looked worried. Canary was always strong though. I wanted to be strong like her; I wanted to be strong like her and Zombie.

I hiccuped. "Canary?"

Canary gave me a small, sad look and climbed up my ladder, settling in beside me.

We both laid side by side, looking up at ceiling.

"What's up?" she asked quietly.

I sniffled, bringing the blanket up to cover my body again. "I miss them," I whimpered.